Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Clayton Christmas Carnage '12

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355447231.850175.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  62.2 KB

Our pre Clayton shenanigans
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

ill be your pickup man
    Waco
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Just rolled up, only people here
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

ill be your pickup man
    Hey Dallas, I'm in waxahachie. Where y'all be?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Holy hell, epic trip!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Carnage:

Flem - Rolled Disco - bent roof cage, bent sheet metal, busted tail light. Sunday he discovered he had broken some rear axle flange bolts
    Frick - Huffed the motor, started making noise Friday, he ran it all day Saturday until about 5:00 pm, then while extracting him, we de-beaded a tire
    Heath (my neighbor) - Cracked his transmission in half
    Hippy - Think there was a broken anti-wrap bar
    Sam (In Jimmy's rig) - Broken rear axle shaft
    Fred - Spit a u-joint cap out on a front shaft
    JB - Broke a front shaft, repaired and continued wheeling
    BDR - Poked a hole in his transmission
    Evan - mystery jeep no start issue
    Klogger - Friday had to tighten the t-case yoke and replace a hydro-assist hose steering fitting. Worked great until Saturday night when I broke a u-joint strap, which sent the driveshaft into the break line. Repaired the driveshaft, but no brakes. Then while finishing walk in the park, rolled on side (from what I am told it looked violent, I was quite comfortable) Upon righting the vehicle the power steering pulley exploded, leaving me without power steering, charging, or cooling. Then the starter solenoid decided to break. While being pulled back to the parking area I was unable to steer and became intimate with a tree on the passenger side, more body damage. Sunday morning when I awoke I found I had cracked the frame on the passenger side, significantly, in 3 places, but there is nothing wrong with the radio!
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Lynda's Barbie Jeep - bent anti-wrap bar, cracked rear axle housing again at antiwrap bar, AL radiator mount tabs broke off radiator - wheeled second day with radiator held on with ratchet strap, cracked muffler, blown seal in PS pump (fixed), debeaded one tire, and a small engine fire
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Jeep-
    Busted front driveshaft u-joint u-bolts and u-joint caps. Replaced on trail and continued wheeling.
    1 hr later I ripped the pinion out of the third member on the rear 609. Broken ring and pinion gears, third member, bearing caps and bolts.
    Found out after I got it back on the trailer that I bend both rear spring fixed mounts at the frame over 2 inches off center. Possibly have two bent rear springs as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    seacrest, you are my hero!

I forgot to add that the trailer lost one tire up there and one tire on the way back. Of course I only had one spare, but we were able to use the one off the Dodge by flipping it around backwords. It worked...

Also, the Dodge and trailer received custom puke pinstripes courtesy of Brian Coleman while traveling down the highway at 75. I made him wash it when we got to my place, he puked again in front of my mailbox...
    Last edited by redcagepatrol; 12-17-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Scott, FTAC '99

ill be your pickup man
    Y'all seem to blow a lot of trailer tires. How heavy is that trailer empty?

Had a great time. Broke a 60 stock inner, joint, and 4340 35 spline outer. Luckily Karl's neighbor had a spare outer and I had the rest

Exhausted today
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

That trailer is lighter than several others that I've pulled, I think it's only about 4,000#'s.
    I went many years on the first set of tires, after the first blow out someplace on I-10 going to Arizona I replaced all 4 with new. That lasted for a few years then when Busa borrowed it to go to North Dakota to pick up the twisted Customs chassis he blew out both driver side (the side that sits in the sun at my house). Those two tires only have one Clayton trip on them, now two trips (pretty darn new). The two on the passenger side (the two that blew out this trip) have a decent amount of miles on them and were getting worn on the outer edges pretty good.
    I made sure all five tires were at max pressure (80psi) before leaving for the trip, I also feel the tires on stops for fuel to see if they are warm and they never are.

In other news:
    I lost my camera up there and Evan has my tarp / tie downs. I've accounted for most everything else.
    Scott, FTAC '99

Higgs pulled a klogger and ran out of fuel a couple of times

Jimmy also noticed that I spit a u joint cap on a front shaft after it was loaded on the trailer.
    I also blew a bogger bead on green mamba, The scout rear shaft couldnt handle the combination of skinny pedal and power tire that was thrown at it on walk in the park!
    Last edited by sam_hodnett; 12-17-2012 at 12:17 PM.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Carnage:

Flem - Rolled Disco - bent roof cage, bent sheet metal, busted tail light. Sunday he discovered he had broken some rear axle flange bolts
    Frick - Huffed the motor, started making noise Friday, he ran it all day Saturday until about 5:00 pm, then while extracting him, we de-beaded a tire
    Heath (my neighbor) - Cracked his transmission in half
    Hippy - Think there was a broken anti-wrap bar
    Sam (In Jimmy's rig) - Broken rear axle shaft
    Fred - Spit a u-joint cap out on a front shaft
    JB - Broke a front shaft, repaired and continued wheeling
    BDR - Poked a hole in his transmission
    Evan - mystery jeep no start issue
    Klogger - Friday had to tighten the t-case yoke and replace a hydro-assist hose steering fitting. Worked great until Saturday night when I broke a u-joint strap, which sent the driveshaft into the break line. Repaired the driveshaft, but no brakes. Then while finishing walk in the park, rolled on side (from what I am told it looked violent, I was quite comfortable) Upon righting the vehicle the power steering pulley exploded, leaving me without power steering, charging, or cooling. Then the starter solenoid decided to break. While being pulled back to the parking area I was unable to steer and became intimate with a tree on the passenger side, more body damage. Sunday morning when I awoke I found I had cracked the frame on the passenger side, significantly, in 3 places, but there is nothing wrong with the radio!
    My 8 year old Optima finally gave up the ghost as well. My only other carnage was part of the Midnight Trail Klog of '12. My pocket knife served as the solenoid jumper during the Klogger defibrillation attempts.
    Karl: "How much do you care about this knife Fred?"
    Me: "**** it up Karl."

Name:  knife.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  38.1 KB
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

I broke the last of the ARP bolts right before my exit on 75. The revs went up, the speed went down. Engaging CDL at highway speeds makes some funny noises, but I got off the road, slid the axle out and continued home.

This trip just keeps getting better every year.

Flem wins RRDH fo sho.

Klogger wins Most improved, or best showmanship. Or something.

Lurch wins good samaritan award. (along with Fred)

Blaze orange buggy wins most underwhelming award.

Ugly truck wins bang for buck.

BDR wins "I only broke getting out of the way for some Paris TX kid who thought his scout was a grasshopper" award.

Swamp donkey wins the Just won't die award.

Any others?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller