Thread: 2012 Tecate SCORE BAJA 1000!

ill be your pickup man

2012 Tecate SCORE BAJA 1000!

It has been a long 5-6 days. Here is my lengthy write up

Two weeks ago I was drinking some beers at the house, watching MNF when I saw John Cox had posted on Facebook about heading out to the Baja 1000. I had a few more vacation days off work, so I messaged him, and a few phone calls later, I was set to chase for the Jeepseed #1749 for the first 250 miles. This year the race was a peninsula run, meaning that it went the full length, from Ensenada to La Paz, 1121 miles. I think they alternate years, and sometimes it loops back to Ensenada and is only 750ish miles.

Left work early on Tuesday with the F-150 all loaded down. Made it to Tucson and got a hotel for the night. No major issues. I replaced the rack and pinion earlier that week, and while it helped, I am pretty sure I have to replace the pump as well. But on the highway at 80, it didn't really matter.

Rolled through multiple interior border checkpoints. Entering California, at the checkpoint, all they asked me was if I was bringing in any house plants? WTF? And did you guys know if you have any sort of trailer hooked to your truck, you can only go 55mph in Cali? There was a long uphill section over a pass, and they had spent all this money on "Radiator Water Here" stops. Basically, a sign, small turnoff of the highway, and a big piece of RCP that I suppose collected rainwater in case you overheated. So like one of this every mile of so? No, 1 every 1/4 mile for probably 8 miles. Crazy California.

Pulled into the border check station in Tecate, Tx. The gate went up, I drove into another country. That was it. No inspections or questions, just drove right in. Mexico is ****ty. Really ****ty. Trash all over the streets. Very poor. Shanties everywhere. Drivers are absolutely crazy. I can not really explain how it is a completly different type of driving down there. Stop signs are everywhere and not easily seen, very few stop lights. Everyone hauling ass everywhere in ****ty cars.

I got through Tecate, Mexico, and drove about 65 mph down to Ensenada. It is on the Pacific, but you can not really see much of it. The town was crazy. It was like Mardi Gras.

I made it through town and to the Hotel Del Sol. Set up similiar to A&A, but two stories, with everyone congregating and working on rigs in the parking lot. Cox was out prerunning, and the other guys with the team were working on the car. So I grabbed a few brews, and walked myself back downtown to see the festivities. Crazyness. The tech inspections were beginning, so all racers have to drive/push there cars down the crazy people filled street to get to inspection. Mexicans were running up to moving trophy trucks, putting their Mexican baby on the hood, and stepping back to take pictures. Little Mexicans kids everywhere clamoring for "steekers". Skanky ass Mexican chicks peddling poorly designed and printed T-shirts.

Aside from the race teams, there were very few gringoes. Hardly any all. This race is difficult to get too, and almost impossibly to spectate. Basically, a bunch of American race teams go down there, leave the starting line in Ensenada amongst all the locals, and then just pass through a bunch of shanty towns all the way down the peninsula.

Made it through tech, back to hotel, race team meeting, bed. Woke up and took some pictures of our chase trucks.

We had 3 drivers, 3 co drivers for the Jeep

Sweet military K30 with a 6.2

Bro'd out Travis special. Not lifted, but had bypasses and 35s

Sweet Taco with glass and fancy go fast suspension.

Owner's beat up 12v with Fox Bypasses, Ford 60, and 35s

The Jeep and its first drivers headed to the start line. The bikes and quads leave first, then a couple hours later, the trophy trucks leave, then many other classes, then Jeepspeeds, then class 11. The production manager from Synergysuspenion.com/Polyperformance, rode with me and we headed down to Ojos Negros and the rain began to fall. We left way early so we could see the trophies come through. You knew they were close when you could see the choppers in the distance. Almost every one had a chopper.

Pretty crazy watching these things come though the town with all the locals risking their lives to get a picture. We waited for 1749, which was doing fine, so we hauled ass to the the next location. There were 5 chase trucks. Chase 1, the owner, and me, Chase 5, bascially leapfrogging each other for 150 miles, beating the race car there, and waiting just in case they had any problems. Only really issue was that it was puking PS fluid. SO we had to quickly pit a few times to top it off. It was pretty badass hauling ass down access roads to intersect the course.

The amount of planning for this thing is absurb. You should see the BFG book that those running BFG tires get. Most everyone runs BFGs. It is an inch thick with every single ounce of info you will need to run the race. Very detailed notes for chase vehicles on how to access the course throughout the 1100 miles. For example "To access RM 151.7, look for fence with old tire on the post at Hwy 3 14.3 mile marker, turn left, go to corral, turn right and stop before crossing course." They do this for the entire course.

We had race radios and sat phones. BFG has 7 pits set up throughout the course with full on 18wheelers. You can fuel there. They will fuel for you and even change your tire. You have to make sure though that your race fuel is there ahead of time. Lots of planning. They also have BFG relay, which is a higher power frequency that can get you intouch with your race car if you can't. There are also trackers on all cars. At one point, at BFG Pit2, neither we, nor BFG relay could access our car due to the hilly terrain around Puertecitioes. We used the Sat phone, to call a friend in the states, that then used the tracking website (I think it is racetheworld.net) and we were able to determine that our car was going 55mph and only 2 miles away. This was great news, because they were way behind schedule and we feared they broke down. Luckily they just had to stop to change a tire.

To be continued...
    Last edited by JB; 11-18-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    It takes a long time to go 250 miles. Probably close to 12 hours. The guys driving were exhausted.

The highways in Mexico are bad. Then it gets dark around 445 and it gets worse. The highways are mostly 2 lane with no shoulder through hilly terrain. 18 wheelers mixed with chase trucks hauling ass. It was very stressful, expecially at night. I know a couple chase trucks rolled and at least 1 person was killed somewhere along one of the highways. Incredibly dangerous. After our car passed through BFG pit 2, we contined onto the couse for like 45 miles. Rough, washboard roads the worst I have every been on. My truck took an absolute beating. The beatup dodge with solid axles but had bypasses, took this road just fine. I think I need some bling.

Crashed for the night at Cocos Corner. It is just your standard corral/campground in the middle of the desert run by an old Mexican with no legs. Slept very well.

Next morning I packed up and headed back up to Ensenada. I was so tired and beat up and it was crazy to think that I only went for less than a 1/4 of the race, and that the jeep was still running south probably only a few hundred miles down, with plenty left to go.

The 200 or so miles back up sucked. Horrible roads again and horrible truck drivers. Came around a corner and an 18 wheeler had just flipped off the road and was fully engulfed. Driver was most certainly still in the cab. Drove past slowly, but heat was so intense, had to hurry through. No emergency crews would have been able to get there in less than a few hours. Very eerie.

Dropped off Mark in Ensenada, hauled ass to Tecate, waited an hour to cross, drove to Yuma, hotel, woke up, drove 18+ hours and got home this morning at 330am.

Class 12 VW at our hotel

Olds 442

There were 3 Jeeps in the Jeepspeed class 17 and we placed 2nd, finishing under the 45hour time limit.

Word from Cox was that they got stuck in a silt bed for almost 3 hours and also blew 2-3 more tires
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    that is a pretty sweet lifetime experience! I wouldn't mind tortuning myself once to do this, sounds like an experience that might stick with you for a while...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Man I am so jealous I couldnt make this. Sounds like a hell of a time, and a once in a lifetime deal.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Badass. Do it again?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

sounds intense, glad you're safe.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Awesome, sounds like some good memories were made.

ill be your pickup man
    Headed back! Well sort of. An old buddy from high school, who I usually go on my Colorado trips is having his bachelor party in Cabo. We are set up to run some buggies through Wide Open Baja in January. Should be fun. He did it about 10 years ago and said it was pretty awesome.

www.WideOpenBaja.com
    http://vimeo.com/23560052
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmzUX8_Xo4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXkpFH9G9oc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK_crDymtAY
    Last edited by JB; 08-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

how awesome do the cup holders have to be for your beer not spill in one of those things?
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

That looks fun
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Damn it. Going in December. Now I kinda want to. Not sure anyone else would want to. Plans for fishing too. Pretty steep, but pretty sweet.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller