Thread: 1988 Jeep comanche AKA the penny sniffer

Hybrid View

Looks good!

I'd recommend some kind of cover over the mechanicals of the jack. You may have to make something. But they're not very easy to use when they've been left out in the weather. I'd suck to need it and have it be rusted up.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    Looks good!

I'd recommend some kind of cover over the mechanicals of the jack. You may have to make something. But they're not very easy to use when they've been left out in the weather. I'd suck to need it and have it be rusted up.
    Thanks! I was just thinking this yesterday after looking at it. It is rusting quick, Im going to look for cover, I know I have seen people with them before.
    1988 Comanche auto, 4.0, 4x4, 8.8 rear trussed, Dana 30 trussed, SYE np231, Serious Offroad long arms, 9.5" of lift, 35's, lockers

Got some work done on the Comanche this week and man it was HOT!

Fixed the TRE on the drag link. I had to cut it off and get a new one one and grind down the pit man arm some to get the castle nut down enough to slip a cotter pin in it. So Steering is 100% done and safe to drive.

Also finally got all the hardware to bolt the drive shaft up, so I did that. Its been almost 3 years since I have had front and rear matching gear sets. so I have not had 4wd for that long. I took it down the street and put it in to 4wd and it worked great!!!!!! That front locker made a world of difference too.

In a couple weeks Ill get it over to a Offroad shop here in town and they are going to align it, adjust the long arms for correct pinion angle, dial in the drag link and the sway bar links for me while there at it along with grease everything up. This is next to impossible to do in my drive way with out a jack big enough for the truck, it would be cake if I had access to a lift. The shop is going to charge me $160, which I feel Is a fair price.

After that I still have to do the following which I will try to do some of it before it gets dropped off at the shop...

Electrical:
    -Adjust TPS to factory recommendation (I believe its too advanced and I get some back firing from time to time. )
    -Left headlight sometimes works some times doesn't. (bad ground?)
    -Rear right tail light not working (could just be a bulb)
    -Install NSS to get reverse lights working again
    -diagnose and fix why half of Light bars are working (bad grounds/Fuse blocks most likely)
    -Remove lights in rear bumper and install replacement LED lights

Other:
    -Remove headliner ( its falling)
    -Install Rear locker

I hope to have most of this done so I can enjoy the truck at the deer lease and down at Matagorda beach this winter. Its hard to get motivation to get out and work on it when It is 100+ degrees though....

1988 Comanche auto, 4.0, 4x4, 8.8 rear trussed, Dana 30 trussed, SYE np231, Serious Offroad long arms, 9.5" of lift, 35's, lockers