Thread: In Tank Fuel Intake

In Tank Fuel Intake

I went to go start the Cruiser yesterday for the first time in over a year. It wasn't getting fuel. Pump was running. One of the jets was bubbling, but the other was dry. Tapped the jets (which fixed it last time). Called my 350 help line (Fred, Flem you were next ) and left a message. While I was waiting for my lifeline, I replaced the fuel filter in case it was clogged or caked up. Then I realized that the fuel intake tube was sitting at the bottom of the tank. The good news is that I hooked it up and it fired right up. Seems all that thing wants to do is run.

BUT, this line fell of again after just over a year in the tank. The line is supposed to be in-fuel rated line. The tube outside is fine, but the inside turned a little mushy and it fell off the barb at the top of the tank. I did not have a hose clamp on it because it was so hard to get on, I never thought it would come off, even if I wanted it off.

So, for the questions...

Do I just need to hook it back up and put a hose clamp on it or is there something else I should be doing?

For others using fuel cells, what are you using for the in-tank fuel intake? I seem to keep having this issue.

Mine goes down and Ts at the bottom and has the end pieces that close if they start sucking air. It works great on the trail, it just keeps degrading in the fuel.

Seems like there should be a better answer.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Hard line?

We make some hose that holds up to some nasty stuff if you want to money whip it. Ill check Monday for the pn. Is it an fittings on the valves?

Anyone have hardlines in-tank? I'm not even sure I'd know how to make that.

The small piece of (2" - 3") tube from the top of the tank to the fuel filter were so collapsed that it I couldn't see through it when I took it off.

What valves? At the top of the tank? They're hydraulic cast ones (JIC?), not the blue and red fuel ones that you see on a race car. But I think the threads are the same. Not positive though.

Today I picked up a little hose from O'Reilly. He said it was Gates' new superhose that's supposed to work with everything. I patched it together a little to get it out of the garage and into the container. We'll see over time.

Let me know what you find out from your end. I don't need that long of a piece, ~3' total. So even if it's a per foot premium, it shouldn't be too bad overall. I would be worth knowing that it's done right.

I wonder if having the same fuel sit in the line is harder on it than it flowing through on a regular basis (like if it were driven regularly).
    Last edited by davido; 02-24-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Pirate knows everything.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...solutions.html

They say submersible fuel line.

O'Reilly has this: Gates? - Submersible Fuel Line Hose Part # 27093

What are the chances this is what he sold me today?

I'll check it next time I'm working on it. More fun today while I was pulling into the container, I hit the driver's hub on the door and it popped the center pin. More awesomeness. The antiwrap bar is pretty much destroyed. Maybe it's time for coils.

ill be your pickup man
    Why are you putting it in a container? And why do you always break center pins?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Yeah, sounds like you are on the right track Dave. Sorry I didn't call you back. We were loading from the swap meet when you called, then we ate dinner and I took a nap on the ride back to the house. After that I was kind of a zombie until I went to bed.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Any swap meet treasures?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

No worries Fredo. I want to hear what you guys found also.

I moved it out to our land so that WOs Mustang could go in the garage. She didn't want it sitting in the garage. And "I don't want to get f'ing divorced," so I just moved my **** out there. That's the first time it's moved since Clayton a year ago. Not ready to get rid of it, it's just down the list a bit on the current load.

Not sure about the center pins either. You would think the ubolts were loose, and I haven't checked them in a while, but last time we did front end work I thought I was going to strip them out when I was tightening them up. I should probably torque them and see how they do. Then I know how tight I have them.

The longer I looked at it, the more it needed done. The ram (Tommy), the front antiwrap bar, it's sitting a bit sideways (so a pack or two has a leaf too many or something), missing the holding tank cap... but I guess that's it really. It could be ready to bang on short notice, but I spend from 5:30 - 8:30 with the kiddos (if I'm not working or at some other function), so I can't seem to find time lately. Just like everyone else with kids and jobs.

We're slowly getting things ironed out though, so I'll get back to it eventually. I think I located a bed mat for the floor. I really need to move the tank and put in a rear seat if I'm going to get serious about it again.