Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Death Wobble Thread

Death Wobble Thread

Figured I would start this bad boy up since it seems to be so prevalent. I am 99% sure that this is from poor alignment and the fact that my steering stabilizer/damper is shot to hell, but I am getting death wobble. At low speed it happens when I hit a pothole or whatever. But at higher speeds, including highway speed, the only way to set it off is if the steering wheel is just in the right position, slightly turned to the right. I drove 70+ all the way home today and it never acted up unless the wheel was in that exact spot. Anyways, my plans are to replace the stabilizer and get an alignment. Anybody know of a shop that has a rack that goes over the tires instead of between the tire and the wheel?

How tight are your Tie rod ends? My truck is only 2.5 years old and I had to replace all of the steering a few months ago because if violent death wobble. I still get a small amount from time to time but I need new tires and shocks crazy bad.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

a steering stabilizer only masks it.

have you recently let anybody drill out your track bar mount with a step bit?

Cardoc has a rack.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

I did a lift on a TJ a few weeks ago and in less than 20 miles the track bar relocation bolt hole wallowed out. I just welded the bolt into place and it killed the death wobble. So that is possible if you have done that mod. Mine never had an issue with that but I only had one run on it before I got rid of those axles.
    Jonathan Tate
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU

Haven't messed with the tie rod ends or the trac bar mounts at all, and I re-used the factory mounts. I guess I could try tightening up the tie rod ends. I know that the stabilizer covers up the problem, which explains why I have burnt through so many as of late. That's why I think it is the alignment rather than the steering components because my alignment has been off for a long time. Also, I usually get my stabilizer replaced soon after it starts leaking, but it has been leaking for a good while now. That explains why I never fully experienced the issue before. Tommy said awhile back that Cardoc's was one that went between the tire and wheel?
    Last edited by MR.ZAP; 03-17-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I did a lift on a TJ a few weeks ago and in less than 20 miles the track bar relocation bolt hole wallowed out. I just welded the bolt into place and it killed the death wobble. So that is possible if you have done that mod. Mine never had an issue with that but I only had one run on it before I got rid of those axles.
    I am sorry for whoevers jeep you did this too... Cause it's obvious you're the best welder around...
    Last edited by Sparling; 03-17-2013 at 11:36 PM.

and how is over the tire better? then you're dealing with tire inconsistency and trying to do an alighnment. I've aligned plenty of vehicles there. it works fine.
    Last edited by Sparling; 03-17-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Have you taken a tape measure to it yet to see if the alignment is really that off
    Jonathan Tate
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU

I know it's that off because I bent up my tie rod, my expensive, chromoly, aftermarket tie rod, a good while ago. That was extremely frustrating. I was too damn lazy to go get an alignment done. And Sparling, the dude at NTB (not saying that they have any credibility, but just saying) told me that it would mess up my wheels. Now, I have jacked them up pretty good myself, so it isn't that big of a deal, but I would rather not intentionally tear them up.

Also, I got my wheels balanced on Saturday to see if that would help. It helped a bit, but obviously it is still an issue.
    Last edited by MR.ZAP; 03-18-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.ZAP View Post
    I know it's that off because I bent up my tie rod, my expensive, chromoly, aftermarket tie rod,
    Was it a Solid Currie Tie Rod? Those things are junk mine bent very easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    Was it a Solid Currie Tie Rod? Those things are junk mine bent very easily.
    Yes!!!!!! I thought Currie made quality stuff, bent up on my first damn off-road trip! In fact, I passed up on the Poly Performance one, or Synergy as they are now called because I figured Currie made more better products. My girlfriend's dad offered to order me a stock one wholesale, which is exactly what I should have done.
    Last edited by MR.ZAP; 03-18-2013 at 05:11 PM.

It is not that it is a bad product but that a solid forged tie rod is not nearly as resilient as a piece of heavy wall DOM tubing.

I would do the following

Buy new tie rod
    Straiten Currie Tie rod
    Paint Tie rod
    Sell
    Profit
    Last edited by AggieTJ2007; 03-18-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I have some 1.5"x.25 wall DOM if you need to buy some

It is not that it is a bad product but that a solid forged tie rod is not nearly as resilient as a piece of heavy wall DOM tubing.

I would do the following

Buy new tie rod
    Straiten Currie Tie rod
    Paint Tie rod
    Sell
    Profit
    Haha can I just sleeve it like Sparling seems to want me to do???

maybe by weight, but if the OD is bigger on the solid bar then it is stronger. That middle part doesn't do much for strength

sounds like a bushing to me. You have backlash and there is no force on the axle to pre load it when you are turning at just that spot.
    Last edited by robertf03; 03-18-2013 at 09:24 PM.