Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need me a Daysul

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    I towed yesterday. It made me feel cool! Am i like yall now? please? am I???
    The troll is back!
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Last edited by TdmayfieldIV; 06-06-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

I really think a 2wd with 250,000 Should be like $5,000 tops. Also if you buy a 2wd, you will get stuck in the most ridiculous situations, I know because I've been there.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

ill be your pickup man
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Tommy won't get a 6.0 because every single one of them has egr problems.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

I typed this for someone on another forum who was less familiar with these trucks, so I'm sure some of this yall already know. It's just easier to copy paste.

The aftermarket has come around with Ford 6.0 support. There are a few main issues that, if left unaddressed, can lead to the big expensive issues. I used to be on the Ford 6.0 is junk bandwagon, but have recently seen the big issues can be prevented. The problem is, if you're buying a used truck, you really don't know the service history and if the big problems are already starting to creep up.

If you find a 6.0 you like, keep in mind you'll probably want to put about $2k into it off the bat to ensure reliability. The "good" thing about this is, because of the bad rap, it may actually be cost effective to buy a cheaper 6.0 truck and do the repairs.

These are the couple smaller problems I know about so far:

Oil Cooler - The oil cooler uses engine coolant in the heat exchanger. The coolant side of the heat exchanger is known to get clogged with sand. This sand is leftover in the coolant passages after casting the engine block. Plan on a new oil cooler, flushing the cooling system, and adding an aftermarket coolant filter to catch whatever doesn't get flushed. A blocked oil cooler usually leads to high oil temps causing bad injectors.

EGR/EGR Cooler - the cooler is known for developing small cracks. The EGR cooler also gets plugged with sand from the coolant. These can lead to losing coolant over time and/or overheating. Plan on replacing the EGR cooler with an aftermarket unit or a delete kit and tuner.

FICM - Fuel Injection Control Module. I don't know a lot about this issue but have seen some people complain about problems with rough idle and cold starts, and it's blamed on low voltage from the FICM to the injectors.

The big issue:

Head gaskets - The big issue which gives these engines bad raps is losing the head gaskets. It sounds like running the engine hot due to combinations of the above problems can ruin the head gaskets in a hurry. A lot of people say the factory head studs can be stressed by these heat issues. If you really want to nip this thing in the bud, and you feel it's worth investing more than $2-3k into making a truck fully reliable, plan on pulling the heads and installing new head gaskets and an ARP stud kit.

Lots of good info in this thread, and tons more if you do some searching on the net.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...-reliable.html

This is just from a little research I did when I was bored. I'm no expert but, at this point, I'd rather see someone buy a 6.0 that they can put a couple grand in preventative/performance upgrades and drive it another 100k+ than buy an older "reliable" truck that you have to dump a couple grand into trans and other repairs and only have maybe 30-50k worth of mileage left on the chassis.
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 06-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    BDR

Yeah, I wish I had bought a 6.0 but the funds weren't there at the time. I don't think there's any reason to be scared of a 6.0 as long as you get one that's either already done or one that hasn't had any problems.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

ill be your pickup man
    Good info.

Did you come across any similiar findings on the 6.4? Buddy is having hell with his
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

What problems is he having? The ones I've heard about are the radiators and the fuel systems. Advance has a 6.4 radiator in stock with a lifetime warranty.

I second the 6.0 if you can afford it. My parents have a 6.0 Excursion with 166k miles and the only issues that it has is cold starts which is solved by plugging in the block heater when it is cold. Did I mention it gets 21 mpg too.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ill be your pickup man
    Something with radiator and hoses and something else that required the cab to be removed. Oil cooler maybe?

Bad info, but he stills drives it, but if he drives it more than an hour, or tries to pull something, it freaks out, EGTs go up, limp mode. Power steering going out too. Great looking truck, but damn.
    Last edited by JB; 06-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I'm not totally opposed to a 6.0 but it would have to be an 05+ 4x4. I really don't want to buy a truck knowing I have to put 2k worth of upgrades in it right off the bat unless it's got the suspension I want. The main thing i'm scared of is the history of the truck. It's easy to hurt a 6.0 with ****ty maintenance. A 7.3 not so much. The 4r100 scares the **** out of me in the 7.3 trucks to the point that I would almost rather have a 6.0. I can do engine work, but I won't touch a auto tranny anymore.

This truck just has to last me until I can afford a 2011+ ford.

If i find a sub 200k 7.3 with a ford inline trans filter (which is mandatory with any ford trans reman's) i'm gonna buy it. If it's a ext cab short bed that's just a plus.

the only place I'll put myself in a situation to get stuck I'll have the bronco on the trailer to pull it out, and most likely some of yall with 4x4's will be around.

Oh, Jb I don't want a work truck with vinyl seats, cant stand em.
    Last edited by TdmayfieldIV; 06-06-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    F*ck off cj.

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    If i find a sub 200k 7.3 with a ford inline trans filter (which is mandatory with any ford trans reman's) i'm gonna buy it.
    Looks like someone needs to do more research.

ill be your pickup man
    When are you back in town? Go look at that one at Asher. Its still there
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I get back in town next thursday.
    F*ck off cj.