Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mack the tow pig

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I think you should just drive it and not **** it up
    That is an interesting idea
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    How does doing an intake, tuner, and exhaust **** it up? Please enlighten me master diesel tech JB.
    Turns a nice solid truck into a riced out truck??? That's how??? You haven't caught on yet? You'll get there. I thought the 7.3 was super bad mother-****in ass anyhow? Why does it need all the extra ****?

Looks good Tommy, don't **** it up.

Sparling rationalization post in 3, 2, .......
    Last edited by JB; 06-17-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Nah. Everything that isn't stock is rice so what does it matter.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Tuner, intake and exhaust on a 130K+ mile truck are the definition of rice.
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"

**** 130k is just broken in... But the transmissions... That's another story
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    The paint is fine, the clear coat is all that was messed up and painted.
    "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

You don't know a ****ing thing about paint, do you?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

His hood could have been fixed and looked fine if it wasn't attacked with rattle can clear coat. **** you.
    Last edited by Sparling; 06-17-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Oooo I like angry Sparling
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

His hood could have been fixed and looked fine if it wasn't attacked with rattle can clear coat. **** you.

Your first post implies that the "paint" as you put it, was fine. Please go into detail on how you would repair this problem.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

I'd pay a mexican that I know $100 to fix it.

That wouldn't even cover materials to do it right.

Nah, you implied that there was a solution for the clearcoat seperating from the basecoat without respraying the basecoat. I want to know how you planned to accomplish this task.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    That wouldn't even cover materials to do it right.
    I've seen a hood and roof that he's redone (base and clear coat) for about that price and it looks like nothing was ever wrong. It matches the rest of the truck perfectly. Yes there is more to it than just knowing of a mexican that does body work.

If I cared enough and I was going to do it on my truck, I'd probably get as much of the clear coat off the color as I could wet sanding with a higher grit and going slow so I didn't burn through the color. Then I would have taken the hood off the truck and hung it up so you weren't spraying down with a can and sprayed much more clear than just a couple of passes like what is on tommys hood, and then wet sanded some more after the clear and then polished. Yeah I know it's not right but it wouldn't look like complete ass, at least not for a while. But I'm not even going to try and fix the peeling clear on my truck.
    Last edited by Sparling; 06-17-2013 at 11:26 PM.

If you break through the clear, even if it is from seperation, and you try to sand and reclear, it makes a highly visible ring at the edge of the clear...especially on metallic paints. The only way to repair it is to sand the whole thing then feather the edges of the clear with 400 wet, then blend liquid and grey scotchbright the entire panel. Then, shoot basecoat over the damaged areas, trying to stay away from the panel edges. If not, you'll have to blend onto the adjacent panel. Then reclear the whole panel.

In Tommy's case, that color, especially being older, and a red variant, is going to definitely be faded. More than likely, you'd have to start with the factory color code, then tweak it and do test panels to even get close to a blendable color. Best case scenario, the roof could be done without anyone noticing much difference. The hood would require blending onto the fenders and possibly doors if the blend area on the hood gets to the edges. Even if you successfully mix up a blend color, later down the road, it will fade at a different rate than the factory paint, as well as the fresh clear being much more vibrant than the original clear.
    Last edited by Fredo; 06-17-2013 at 11:45 PM.

It's not a show truck, I just don't want to see spray paint lines on the hood. It won't get done for a while either.

Bottom line is I won't find another sub 135k truck for what I paid. The drivetrain is solid, the interior is relatively clean, and it looks good from 20 feet.

I'm gonna putting an intake, exhaust and tuner on it because I want more power. I don't see anyone getting **** for putting the same **** on their jeeps.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.