Thread: radiator locations

radiator locations

Some of yall have seen my rear mounted radiator that is currently at a 45 degreeish angle blocking the back window. I mounted it up there to allow for air flow and also to mount the propane tanks underneath.

I'll be doing a real roll bar and some slanted pieces going to the rear frame rails within the next month in order to clean up the bed and make it more streetable so was wondering what yalls input is on keeping the radiator up mounted to the roll bar or moving it straight up and down behind the cab.

Pro's would be if it was behind the cab under the window I would be able to use the rear view mirror but will that decrease airflow too much for street driving? I have two electric fans on the radiator that cool too much as it is while off roading.
    85 yota, 305 on propane, 4.7 t-case, 37" hummer tires on H1 beadlocks, rear welded

how much longer is a 305 over a toyota 4 banger? Can't be that much. I'd put it under the hood. Makes for a lot fewer problems.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

It's just a bit longer, i had to cut out the front of the engine compartment to get the engine in then I welded it back up. The radiator I bought was a full size chevy radiator so I don't think it'll fit in the front. I do have the stock toyota radiator though that I could most likely fit in there with one of my electric fans. I'll have to research if the toyota radiator will efficiently cool the 305
    85 yota, 305 on propane, 4.7 t-case, 37" hummer tires on H1 beadlocks, rear welded

I wouldn't step down to a small radiator. I'd try the v8 radiator underhood, if you can't make it work then out of the way in the back with E fans would be my guess. I've seen them flat too with fans.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Leave it in the back. As long as you about 6" of space to draft air from you will be fine.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901