Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rig Search

Rig Search

Just for grins (and future reference), where is the best place to search for legit rigs that are for sale? Have we all just decided to resort to CL? Also, what is an acceptable price? Every one I have come across online that's cheap but actually looks like it could tear up some trails seems to be around $4500. Most of what's under that price seems janky.

Depends on what you're looking for. Keep an eye on pirate and texas4x4.org

Anything offroad oriented will be on there. You really have to go look at them. Some are cheap because they are janky and some are cheap because they just aren't that built. What are you looking for?
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Nothing in particular. I'm just browsing around and was curious as to where everyone else did their shopping. I don't know if it is feasible, but I would like to snag a rig about a year from now.

Texas4x4 is probably the best if you don't want to travel to far and want something decently built. Craigslist is decent but there is alot of crap to sort through.

Pirate4x4 if you are looking for a slightly higher end rig (10k+) and willing to travel to get it or have it shipped
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

most tamorites build their own rigs.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

thrifty nickel

Dallas Times Herald classifieds

I wouldn't touch a vehicle from Pirate

It will either be $20k plus or poop welded to more poop
    Last edited by robertf03; 09-13-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I hear CB Jeeps in Wylie is a good place to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Hey Flem, I'm curious what you would say about buying an old Rover being as you are the end all to Landy knowledge around here?

I dig CB Jeeps, but those guys know what the value of a Jeep is. Sadly, that means most of their vehicles they have for sale are purty expensive.

I'm thinking you're in the market for a Zj like Taylor has or maybe an explorer or 4runner or maybe a Toyota pick up. Something with a lot of bolt ons and something that's easy to get parts for. I'm guessing you need rrdh status too.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    I'm thinking you're in the market for a Zj like Taylor has or maybe an explorer or 4runner or maybe a Toyota pick up. Something with a lot of bolt ons and something that's easy to get parts for. I'm guessing you need rrdh status too.
    Exactly! I'm hoping that RRDH will not be necessary. The main issue is gonna be storage since I will most likely be in Dallas or another city here soon. I just don't wanna buy something and the engine ****s out on me or I grenade a diff on the first run or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.ZAP View Post
    Hey Flem, I'm curious what you would say about buying an old Rover being as you are the end all to Landy knowledge around here?

I dig CB Jeeps, but those guys know what the value of a Jeep is. Sadly, that means most of their vehicles they have for sale are purty expensive.
    If you know the make you want I'd go to an enthusiasts forum and follow the classifieds for a few months and wait for someone who needs money bad.

How old of a rover are you talking? Theres kind of 3 generations. Leaf springs, coil springs, independent suspension. I know nothing about the indy stuff and very little about the leaf sprung stuff.

If you don't rrdh, you have to either get a tow rig and a trailer or bum a ride from somebody all the time. I think any of those listed would be nice and even if something did blow up there are a bunch in the pick and pull yards. Also look at jeffs jeep, he drives it everywhere and it did some pretty amazing stuff on small street tires at TORR last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    If you know the make you want I'd go to an enthusiasts forum and follow the classifieds for a few months and wait for someone who needs money bad.

How old of a rover are you talking? Theres kind of 3 generations. Leaf springs, coil springs, independent suspension. I know nothing about the indy stuff and very little about the leaf sprung stuff.
    Where does the coil spring era start and end? Also, how is the reliability?

If you don't rrdh, you have to either get a tow rig and a trailer or bum a ride from somebody all the time. I think any of those listed would be nice and even if something did blow up there are a bunch in the pick and pull yards. Also look at jeffs jeep, he drives it everywhere and it did some pretty amazing stuff on small street tires at TORR last weekend.
    I agree with you on vehicle selection. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland now with the 5.7, so I'm set on towing. I was checking out trailers the other day and brand new BigTex ones didn't seem too expensive. Don't know how great they are, though... haha I dig Jeff's Jeep, but Jeff has also built that thing up to where it works optimally as it sits. My conundrum is do I go more stock (old f250, land rover, xj, zj, whatever) and go from there, or just buy something built and dive in? Not that it matters right now.

Don't do a full size truck. Way too many headaches and they cost a ton more to get where you want them

Don't do a full size truck. Way too many headaches and they cost a ton more to get where you want them
    Fair enough... I don't know why, but dammit I want to wheel a regular cab full-size.