Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rig Search

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    http://waco.craigslist.org/sno/4045889543.html

It's up here in my neck of the woods I think, so I could probably go look at it for you. The Brunes may come slit my throat while I'm sleeping though...
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.ZAP View Post
    Now that's cheap! I'm not going to be making any moves just yet.
    I must be out of the loop on Scout prices. I thought that was a bit high.

A '73 is going to have a Dana 30 front, so you'd need to get really fast at changing front shafts.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    Whatever you do, don't try to be unique, it just means you have to make your own parts. Ask me how I know.
    That's a wise thing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    I must be out of the loop on Scout prices. I thought that was a bit high.

A '73 is going to have a Dana 30 front, so you'd need to get really fast at changing front shafts.
    Ah, gotcha. Certainly don't want to have to replace an axle right off the bat.

I'm thinking a CUCV is best for you. Start out with tons, and a detroit, don't need to figure out fuel injection, there's plenty of bolt on chevy truck stuff. All you'd have to do is maybe some flexier springs, bigger tires, and some fender clearancing. That and on the off chance you need parts, almost every auto parts store ever has chevy truck parts in stock.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    I'm thinking a CUCV is best for you. Start out with tons, and a detroit, don't need to figure out fuel injection, there's plenty of bolt on chevy truck stuff. All you'd have to do is maybe some flexier springs, bigger tires, and some fender clearancing. That and on the off chance you need parts, almost every auto parts store ever has chevy truck parts in stock.
    These are all valid points! That being said, are you suggesting to stay away from the Dodge variants?

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Dunno if you already explained this, haven't read through the whole thing.

Not meaning anything by this, but I really think a jeep is perfect for you. They're the easiest to make capable without having all of the expensive tools/metal fab equipment. Just do what JB is doing.

Having a big old truck is cool, but it's really just a pain in the ass. It's too big to fit on trails even if you cut it in half, they always break down, and most of them are pretty heavy.

If I were you I would buy a tj, bolt on some beat off jeep axles with lockers, longfields, lockers, 37"s, beadlocks, armor, go wheeling.

Whatever you do, don't try to be unique, it just means you have to make your own parts. Ask me how I know.
    This is the most intelligent thing Tum Tum has ever wrote, for once I can not disagree with any of his opinion, except his sexual orientation.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    That's a wise thing there.
    I hope Tommy was being sarcastic. Unique isn't bad. Who wants to just bolt a bunch of stuff onto a rig? That would be like buying a car and just throwing a burning pile of money at it to go fast. Yes, it's fast, but is it cool and unique? No ****ing way.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

I hope Tommy was being sarcastic. Unique isn't bad. Who wants to just bolt a bunch of stuff onto a rig? That would be like buying a car and just throwing a burning pile of money at it to go fast. Yes, it's fast, but is it cool and unique? No ****ing way.
    I'm gonna hi-jack this, but for me, I like wheeling, that's what I enjoy about this, not making suspensions, putting t-cases in, etc... Now my Chevelle, I agree with Fred, it's where your passion is, unfortunately building and then destroying the klogger kept me from my decade long Chevelle project.
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

lowballing someone
    cucv, shackle flip rear, 52's in front, trim fenders and you can have 40's no problem. but its heavy and idk if his car should tow that....
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

If I hadn't decided to cut a perfectly good bronco in half maybe I would have enough money and time for something to make it work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

If I hadn't decided to cut a perfectly good bronco in half maybe I would have enough money and time for something to make it work better.
    I don't think you see what Fred did there...
    BDR

If I hadn't decided to cut a perfectly good bronco in half
    Lies, no such thing as a perfectly good bronco.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

What did cutting it in half cost you? If anything it saved you money on tube.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Unique is expensive. Expense for a fresh out of college student may not be the best option if all they want to do is wheel.

If you have the money, time and ability to be unique more power to the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    What did cutting it in half cost you? If anything it saved you money on tube.
    He won't get stuck between trees when following me in Clayton