Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Torch

Cutting Torch

I plan to buy an oxy acetylene torch soon, but don't know much about them. I've cruised craigslist some but because I don't know much about them, I'm a little hesitant to buy used. The torch will probably only get used a few times a year so i am not looking to buy anything top of the line/professional grade.

Anyone have any experience or opinions about these:
    Northertool $139.00
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1819_200381819
    Harbor freight $129.00 -20%
    http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-...kit-98958.html

Any other suggestions besides these?

Anyone have an idea of the cost for renting and getting tanks filled?

Buy a Victor. **** that Chinese crap. Higher-end torches and regulators are rebuildable so if you buy used and its ****ed you aren't completely out on your ass. I love used tools but I bought my Victor torch kit brand new. A 125 CF oxy tank is ~$15 to fill. Acetylene is $40 or so.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Most victors are made in china now...
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

From what I have been reading, the "victor style" torches use Victor replacement parts so i should be able use victor parts when needed. I prefer to buy made in USA but for a tool that i will not use very often, it is hard to justify spending double.....

I will probably stay away from the harbor frieght torch. I read that it accepts victor tips (usually), but I don't think the rest of the torch uses victor parts.

any gauge is fine. Get the larger victor torch. I have both small and large one. The large one cuts several times faster and will cause you much less frustration. Renting bottles is the way to go at first but in the long run they pay for themselves in 3 years if you buy versus rent. Also think of what size bottle you get, because some places don't keep smaller bottles in stock and it is a pain in the butt to swap them out.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I have a victor torch that was good, but crapped out on me. The parts to fix it (mixer barrell) are as much as the Harbor Freight Torch, so I bought a harbor freight torch. It is a piece of junk. The valves on it are ****ty, the tips suck, it does not cut as accurately, all in all it is a bad chinese knock off. Stick with Victor.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

ill be your pickup man
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm pretty certain that's not made in the US, even though the answers say it is.

I have a small craftsman (smith built I think) that's at least 20 years old and it always worked fine for me.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Looks like a good deal. I'm going to read some reviews on the victor "cutskill" torch.

I found this one. It's a Victor for $175 but I am reading it is made in China.
    http://store.cyberweld.com/viwecuoufi25.html

ill be your pickup man
    The reviews on Amazon on the one I linked, which is a Cutskill, are all good.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I have an old craftsman torch kit that I used for years. I always had trouble finding tips for it and then one day it started shooting flames out of the side of the acetylene regulator so I retired it and bought the victor. It is decent quality but I couldn't find parts for it in kingsville so I moved on.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I also have an old craftsman torch kit. It is still in the box. I'll probably buy a ****ty harbor freight plasma cutter before buying bottles.

I see some decent deals on the list for Victor stuff semi regularly. That's the way I would go but I have one already.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

lowballing someone
    If you buy used bottles check the hydro dates and make sure they are owner bottles not owned by a welding supply shop
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    I only buy victor. Find you a used torch and regulator set and take it to the local welding supply house and have it all rebuilt. The new economy line victors have a weird mixer handle and the regulators seem cheap.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901