Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Setting up Dana 44 gears College Station

Help Setting up Dana 44 gears College Station

Hey guys, i have all the stuff i just need someone with some experience to help me out. ill pay with beverages or your choice and help on your rig when you need it! thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure everyone just takes their stuff to j and k standard transmission on highway 21
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone just takes their stuff to j and k standard transmission on highway 21
    I only did that one time when I was in a time crunch...
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Lots of other people have too.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

user name is toyrunner and you are setting up 44 gears?

James over at j and k is loseing his touch, past few times I have known people to go there have gotten screwed.
    1988 Comanche auto, 4.0, 4x4, 8.8 rear trussed, Dana 30 trussed, SYE np231, Serious Offroad long arms, 9.5" of lift, 35's, lockers

Quote Originally Posted by zebvance View Post
    James over at j and k is loseing his touch, past few times I have known people to go there have gotten screwed.
    How so?
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Tommy, Evan and Taylor all got gears done there. Not sure about Evan but I remember tommy and taylor having pretty good deals on getting gears installed.

Yeah he gave taylor and I good deals, and got them done in one day before tcc last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

A buddy of mine took his cherokee there to get 4.56s in it last week. He said it would be 1200 bucks and take two days. He also already has a arb in the rear and. Lunch box in the front. We'll 5 days after he dropped it off it was ready to pick up. Total was 1538.... And he drove it to 6 and turned around and brought it back. They didn't do somthing right in the front and the locker was binding and making a lot if noises it never had. James said it was normal because the type of locker it was. However, my buddy told him that it wasn't cause he has always had it in the front and never made the horrific noises and binding like it was before. He told him it always made the normal ratcheting as a lunchbox locker should and that was it. We'll James told him it was normal (this is Fridays at 5 btw) and if he wanted to bring it back Monday they would look at it. So he brought it back Monday and told James to take it around the block, somthing was obviously not right. James got in it and turned about 5 feet and parked it and said he was right somthing is wrong. So it's back at the shop now. No word yet and he told him that he will hear somthing from him Thursday.... 4 days to just look at it...

Next story, my buddy Cortney took his bronco to him a couple years back. Had him put 4.56s in it plus a lunchbox in the front. He also had him rebuild his 5 speed. The gears and locker have been working fine to my knowledge, however his trans seized up on him about 5 months after his warranty went up if I remember right. Long story short, had to get it rebuilt again as cost him another grand...

I'm in the same situation right now looking for someone to do axle work. As soon as the parts come in this week or next I need to take my truck and new front axle to get lockers put in and 4.10s in the front.
    1988 Comanche auto, 4.0, 4x4, 8.8 rear trussed, Dana 30 trussed, SYE np231, Serious Offroad long arms, 9.5" of lift, 35's, lockers

I had my Dana 44 set up there. They were good to me and charged about 150 for the install. Turnaround was two to three days if I remember correctly.

neither one of your story sounds like anybody getting screwed.the first one sounds like an installer mistake. It's unfortunate but it happens at all shops and it sounds like they are going to make it right. The second story could have been a multitude of reasons. but not likely that it was an installer mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

I should mention that my experience with them was back in 2009
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

What about the part where he came $330.00 over the quote with out notifying the customer. If it was $100 bucks no big deal. But $300? Also that he took 3 days longer to do the job wrong and is now adding another 4 days on to it?

Quote Originally Posted by zebvance View Post
    What about the part where he came $330.00 over the quote with out notifying the customer. If it was $100 bucks no big deal. But $300? Also that he took 3 days longer to do the job wrong and is now adding another 4 days on to it?
    Sounds like it took more time / parts than expected and they charged actual labor. ARB's are exactly easy to work with especially if you don't have a lot of experience with them. In mechanics terms $330 is only 3 hours of so of extra work.

edit:

If you know someone with a press all it takes are a press, pair of calipers, the old bearings for setup and some patience. Setting up gear is not rocket science, my first set (dana 60) only took about 3 hrs to do with the axle underneath the vehicle.
    Last edited by AggieTJ2007; 02-12-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I wasn't super impressed when I went to him.
    Born to Kill