Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3-link/ Steering question

3-link/ Steering question

Alright guys, currently running "inverted T" (draglink to tierod) steering with GM 1 ton TREs.

Getting ready to start my 3 link and wanting to make sure I can get panhard bar and draglink on same angle. With my current steering set up I'm going to be squeezed real tight for space and proper angle.

I'm thinking about switching my steering to heims and on the passenger side running a single bolt through the knuckle with tie rod mounting below the knuckle and draglink on top. This would free up some space and allow a little bit of front stretch.

BTW, its a full width 1/2 ton HP44 with stock knuckles. I really don't want hi-steer so I can keep this rig somewhat low, and trying to keep from notching the frame.

Thoughts?

Setting the steering up with heims will make the steering have less slop than the inverted T setup. Plenty of people run a setup like that,

As for getting the panhard and drag link on the same angle try to put the panhard infront of an above the axle. This should help clear upper link mount and the diff at compression.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Seems do-able, post a pic of the front of your ride. Like freight on said links in the back, pan hard bar towards the front, just have to see where your steering box/pitman arm land.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

If you want to get whacky with axle location you can get reverse swinging Saginaw boxes from Chevy vans. Astro minivans for inside the frame applications and fullsize vans for outside.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    If you want to get whacky with axle location you can get reverse swinging Saginaw boxes from Chevy vans. Astro minivans for inside the frame applications and fullsize vans for outside.
    I've thought about doing this swap, just unsure about having the pitman arm being out there unprotected and stretching it past where I'm at.

Also, hydro-assist will be added during this swap.

full hydro and put the axle wherever you want
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Unless the only thing you do is crawl around real slow full hydro shouldn't even be an option.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

My jeep goes down the highway at 75 just fine with full hydro. Took some getting used to but that is it.
    Jonathan Tate
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU

Being that you are trying to keep your jeep low have you looked how the 3 link will fit. My jeep ended up tall to clear everything. When I ever get around to reworking it or when I build my brothers I am going 5 link. Non-triangulated 4 link with panhard bar. only one more link that the 3 link with panhard bar but much easier to keep low. I plan on slamming my jeep 6" or more eventually using this link method. It will also allow me to clock my atlas fully flat. Right now it is two notches lower than I wanted to clear the 3rd link.
    Jonathan Tate
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU

Full hydro isn't happening.

My main question is if the stock steering arm is strong enough to handle single sheer steering set up. In my head it works but we all know how **** gets on the trail. If the bolt or the steering arm breaks it's going to be a long way back to camp.

Build thread coming soon

Your steering arm should be fine but it might not stay tight with a single sheer setup, it might oval out the hole since it's not a reamed hole like a TRE uses. Here's some pictures of what you could do to fix it though. Everything will be stronger in double sheer and it wouldn't cost much to do this.

Name:  Steerbox4_207.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  72.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sparling; 02-13-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Referring to the 2nd picture? Seems simple enough. What are the knuckles made of? Cast steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Your steering arm should be fine but it might not stay tight with a single sheer setup, it might oval out the hole since it's not a reamed hole like a TRE uses. Here's some pictures of what you could do to fix it though. Everything will be stronger in double sheer and it wouldn't cost much to do this.

Name:  Steerbox4_207.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  72.4 KB

I have no clue if they're iron or steel.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    What the **** is wrong with Sparling, that is the most janky pile of **** I have ever seen.

Put a 1 ton TRE in the pitman arm, this will keep it tight. Put heims with bolts on the steering arms, lock tight them, use cotter pins, and routinely check for tightness.
    Last edited by KrazyKarl02; 02-13-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Idk what that last one is but people weld braces to make steering heims double sheer pretty often. I wheel on the internet and take poser pics of my truck, that's better than staying at a holiday inn right?