Thread: Floor Jack Thread

ill be your pickup man

Floor Jack Thread

I have two. One red one and one blue one The off brand red one finally started to suck so I scrapped it. The blue one says Michelin on it, and it works OK, but not great. I'll keep it for a second jack, but want another good one. Any preference here? Of just go with the Harbor Freight special? Any good brands to look for used on CL?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Craftsman ones are sketchy on letting the vehicle down and they leak down. I have a big red jack ( that's the brand) and it works really well. My only complaint is that sometimes you have to get some pliers to release it. The HF jack at Evans shop has been through some **** and is holding up great.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Chet has had that sane 3.5 ton aluminum race jack from HF for a couple years now. For the price its nice. I personally like the HD napa jacks.

http://m.harborfreight.com/3-ton-hea...8048-7788.html

I got this one about a year ago with an additional 20% off coupon and it has been good to me.
    It will bleed down after a while which only highlights the importance of using jack stands in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/tld/4309056966.html

Flem found some monstrosity like this on craigslist that was once owned by u-haul. I think you could level home foundations with it.
    Last edited by 85cj7; 02-18-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

yeah, and it was heavy and a pain in the ass to use so I got rid of it. I got that to replace a craftsman that sucked, and that replaced a blue northern tool one I had that was great but was stolen when I left it out overnight.

Right now I get by on factory rover hydraulic bottle jacks, but I think I'm going to buy an aluminum something or other soon.

Buy something old. Hein Werner, Wagner and Blackhawk are all awesome. I have an old Wagner I just finished rebuilding the ram on and love it. Be 'Merican, buy 'Merican.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I've had 2 craftsman floor jacks, I never had an issue with leak down and I have not had issues with it. I had to get rid of one because I walway left it out and it got all rusty and shatty, this was after like 10 years of doing that.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Boom. Close to your house too. Hein Werner. I joo'd the guy down to $120 but I already have two floorjacks so I didn't want to pay more than $60. Google new HW prices...

On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post

I got this one about a year ago with an additional 20% off coupon and it has been good to me.
    It will bleed down after a while which only highlights the importance of using jack stands in my opinion.

I have this one and the aluminum HF racing jack. The aluminum one lasted for years before I finally sheared one side of the front wheel bolt off(didn't drop the load, just was sitting there holding up my truck with the frame waaaay tweaked, jack stands are important). The steel one is great, but a lot more of a pain in the butt to use due to the weight.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TexTJ209 View Post
    I have this one and the aluminum HF racing jack. The aluminum one lasted for years before I finally sheared one side of the front wheel bolt off(didn't drop the load, just was sitting there holding up my truck with the frame waaaay tweaked, jack stands are important). The steel one is great, but a lot more of a pain in the butt to use due to the weight.
    I have the same steel Harbor freight one. I like the rapid pump feature. I have had it for less than 1 year but so far so good. No bleed down. Hard to beat for the price (wait until it goes on sale then use a 20% off coupon).

I'm sure that used one is great, but just like Karl not checking tire pressures I will never rebuild a jack or ram so I'm looking at new and disposable

I have the black and orange hf one. It works well but its really slow compared to Evans craftsman. It has a pretty long screw up pad that's nice for jacking tall **** up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

I have two older orange 3ton HF ones at the house and two newer grey 3ton HF ones at work. The oldest one (10 years or so) only goes up about 3/4 of the way now but they are all smooth and don't bleed off.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

I had one of the orange and white HF jacks before I got my new gray one. The old orange one still works but I could never let stuff down slow with it (it would just drop...). The gray one is nice and smooth.