8 42.11%
  • All new trucks suck

5 26.32%
  • I am a whore

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost vs 5.0

Ecoboost vs 5.0

Does anyone have any experience or insight with either of the options in a new f-150? I'm in the market for a new truck and can't swing a raptor or diesel as I plan on keeping my dodge.

Fuel MPG is important-ish

My dad has a 2012 f-150 with a 5.0 and honestly I hate how sluggish it is and am leaning towards an ecoboost.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

if you sell the dodge can you swing the raptor? I don't see why you would need your baja diesel and a raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by bcolman View Post
    if you sell the dodge can you swing the raptor? I don't see why you would need your baja diesel and a raptor.
    I like my dodge over the raptor, I'm buying a new truck to commute through Houston ( and yes it will still be 4x4 even though it's totally not needed ).
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

'91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Wife has the Ecoboost in an explorer sport - it boogies.

I had a 5.0 in a 2010 Mustang - it boogied.

I don't think you can go wrong honestly. I just got rid of my Raptor but it had an awesome interior with great features. If you get any of that interior I don't see how you could be disappointed. The new F-150's are good trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Sounds like a turbo'd V6 with a fart can. I take back what I said get the 5.0.

Being that they are both quiet from ford I don't care much about the exhaust tone. Also since when have turbo chargers sounded bad?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Being that they are both quiet from ford I don't care much about the exhaust tone. Also since when have turbo chargers sounded bad?
    Just a high note versus the deep note the 5.0 has. And yes in the racing scene a turbo'd V6, is not the best sounding thing out there. On the flip side a Turbo'd V10 is drop dead sexy.

They don't sound bad with stock exhaust, you just wouldn't ever be able to put an aftermarket exhaust for it. Have you test driven an ecoboost?
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    They don't sound bad with stock exhaust, you just wouldn't ever be able to put an aftermarket exhaust for it. Have you test driven an ecoboost?
    Yes and that's the main reason I'm leaning towards one. What are some good points about the 5.0, besides exhaust?

Also it looks like exhaust, inter cooler, and tune will get you up to ~450hp and over 500 ftlbs. What would it take to get the 5.0 to those numbers?
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Yes and that's the main reason I'm leaning towards one. What are some good points about the 5.0, besides exhaust?

Also it looks like exhaust, inter cooler, and tune will get you up to ~450hp and over 500 ftlbs. What would it take to get the 5.0 to those numbers?
    Whipple. Aren't the Ecoboost's still getting a premium over the 5.0's?

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Whipple. Aren't the Ecoboost's still getting a premium over the 5.0's?
    Super charger sounds expensive.

Ford is making more ecoboost these days and the price is almost the exact same. Also I'm noticing a lot more used ecoboost which doesn't make me feel great either.
    Born to Kill

If you want power, go with the ecoboost. If you want a solid truck that won't ever have turbo or turbo related problems get the 5.0. A 5.0 with a supercharger kit when the warranty is up would be the way I went if I had to be in a non raptor f150.

why a second pickup?

I've heard from some friends with the ecoboost that once a trailer is hooked up the mileage goes to single digits. May just be the way they drive and probably not a concern since you have a diesel.

Intake, Tune and Intercooler would be what $1500? Throw in downpipe and exhaust and you are over $3000? That is definitely less that a supercharger, but that instant torque from a supercharger is hard to beat...

I really don't think you can go wrong either way.