8 42.11%
  • All new trucks suck

5 26.32%
  • I am a whore

3 15.79%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost vs 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    I guess you are totally against a chevy? The ability to get power from an LS motor is shown in how many buggies and vehicles get LS Swaps. When was the last time you saw an Eco-Boost aftermarket swap?
    I think the aftermarket use of LS motors is mostly due to their physicl size. Ford 5.0s are pretty large due to the overhead cams.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I have a 13 F150 4x4 with 5.0L. If you think it's sluggish then owning a truck isn't for you. Hauls enough ass that I never think about it and gets 15 mpg around town with a ****load of idling at work and 17.5 mpg highway doing 80-85. I've had it for 7 months with 20k on it so far. I decided against the ecoboost because it was $2k more and seems like a gimmick to me. Plus it's more parts to break after the warranty expires. I like simple on a DD.
    Agreed. I have a '12 5.0 fx4. Was originally thinking eco-boost. Lu talked me out of it due to the shatty mileage towing and the retarded replacement cost of the engine. The 5.0 makes more power than anything i've ever owned and half the time the traction control is kicking in when you hammer down under 40 mph. I dont regret the 5.0.

JB is right, if you are driving through houston sitting in traffic you likely will never see the benefits of an ecoboost anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I think the aftermarket use of LS motors is mostly due to their physicl size. Ford 5.0s are pretty large due to the overhead cams.
    I would think that the surplus of the variations of them, the fact that they bolt up to a plethora of transmission options, and you can make the computer in them do whatever it is you want without have to be a computer programmer to break the encryption, all add to the use as well as the size/packaging.

I personally like the 5.0 as well, throw some Borla mufflers on one and it makes a rumble that is darn near perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Ford has traditionally fit bigger people better. I've been in a 13 and wasn't impressed, maybe the 14 is better.
    Agreed, the backseat room in the F-150 crewcab is huge, and before the refresh the chevy backseat sucked, but 2014+ really opened up the cab in the Chevy. I sat and rode in the backseat of one last week and it was very comfortable.

I have an extended cab. F the back seat passengers. Important people ride in the front.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I vote 5.0. That is what I would buy if I was in the market right now.

I know 3 people that bought eco boosts. Of the 3, 2 have already sold them (after 1 year) because they were disappointed in the gas millage and had repeated mechanical issues that put the trucks in the shop.

I have 1 friend with a 5.0 and he has nothing but good to say about the truck. It has 3.73's and seems to get going pretty good for a truck....

Quote Originally Posted by tommy53002 View Post
    I vote 5.0. That is what I would buy if I was in the market right now.

I know 3 people that bought eco boosts. Of the 3, 2 have already sold them (after 1 year) because they were disappointed in the gas millage and had repeated mechanical issues that put the trucks in the shop.

I have 1 friend with a 5.0 and he has nothing but good to say about the truck. It has 3.73's and seems to get going pretty good for a truck....
    Do you know what kind of mechanical issues? I know there are a lot of unhappy people who thought they were going to get 20 mpg, but I would be happy with the same mpg as a 5.0 and more power.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Do you know what kind of mechanical issues? I know there are a lot of unhappy people who thought they were going to get 20 mpg, but I would be happy with the same mpg as a 5.0 and more power.
    I'm not positive. I believe they were turbo related. Also, I know that at least one of them was running a tuner.

15 super duties are already on dealer lots. Look around for f150s

I don't know if the issue is widespread or not but I heard at least one eco boost has lost the exhaust seal on the turbo and drained all the oil out killing the engine too.
    Last edited by Sparling; 07-08-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

ill be your pickup man
    I drove a ram ecodiesel and was impressed, but I doubt the mpg gains will actually make up for the price difference and the ford has a more comfortable cab. If the ecodiesel was a 4 cylinder cummins I would probably go that route though...

What kind of mileage am I expecting jb?

When do y'all think the 2015 fords will come out?

Tommy - I'm going to look into that tuning.
    Sticker mpg numbers, what internet people say...

Pirate thread on the Ecodiesel. Take it for what its worth, but claims of high 20s is pretty impressive, even if it acutally gets mid 20s.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...riven-one.html

I have not looked, but I wonder, what a CC 4wd Ecodiesel 1500 is gettting.

If I went back to 1/2 ton, I would be looking for a F150 CC 6.5 XLT or Lairiat 4x4 5.0
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Sticker mpg numbers, what internet people say...

Pirate thread on the Ecodiesel. Take it for what its worth, but claims of high 20s is pretty impressive, even if it acutally gets mid 20s.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...riven-one.html

I have not looked, but I wonder, what a CC 4wd Ecodiesel 1500 is gettting.

If I went back to 1/2 ton, I would be looking for a F150 CC 6.5 XLT or Lairiat 4x4 5.0
    So far, I've found better pricing on f250s with the 6.7 than the ecodiesel. Also finding a 4x4 is damn near impossible or takes a long wait and the 2wd sticker mpg is 20/28. The ecodiesel is a $4000 option over the v-6 and the lone star package without leather ( cc 2wd ) stickered at $56 or $58,000.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

So far, I've found better pricing on f250s with the 6.7 than the ecodiesel. Also finding a 4x4 is damn near impossible or takes a long wait and the 2wd sticker mpg is 20/28. The ecodiesel is a $4000 option over the v-6 and the lone star package without leather ( cc 2wd ) stickered at $56 or $58,000.
    Don't be scared of Sticker on Dodge, it doesn't mean crap to them. I just bought a 14 Ram 2500 CC 4wd Cummins Laramie on saturday, sticker was $58K and I bought it for $48K. Probably could have got more off of it if I was financing but since I was trading in a vehicle with a higher trade in than the vehicle I was buying they didn't want to go any lower.

I've been figuring about 10k off sticker for the fords and rams
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Don't be scared of Sticker on Dodge, it doesn't mean crap to them. I just bought a 14 Ram 2500 CC 4wd Cummins Laramie on saturday, sticker was $58K and I bought it for $48K. Probably could have got more off of it if I was financing but since I was trading in a vehicle with a higher trade in than the vehicle I was buying they didn't want to go any lower.

$48k.......for a dodge
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    $48k.......for a dodge
    GMC dealer wanted over $60K for a Denali, Chevy wanted $56K for an LTZ Duramax, and Ford Lariat SD wanted like $52K. Insane prices for trucks these days. That being said, this Dodge is night and DAY over my 2009. I am REALLY impressed with what Fiat has done to improve the interior quality of these things. My 2009 was karl for interior and this new stuff is beautiful inside. I will take a pic at lunch to post up. It even has ass chillers.
    Last edited by FJAggie07; 07-09-2014 at 10:56 AM.