3 15.79%

8 42.11%
  • All new trucks suck

5 26.32%
  • I am a whore

3 15.79%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost vs 5.0

Intake, Tune and Intercooler would be what $1500? Throw in downpipe and exhaust and you are over $3000? That is definitely less that a supercharger, but that instant torque from a supercharger is hard to beat...

I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

The ecoboost only makes 5 more horsepower stock and to get more from the ecoboost you have to sound like a ricer. You'd be surprised what a tune only can do.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    The ecoboost only makes 5 more horsepower stock and to get more from the ecoboost you have to sound like a ricer. You'd be surprised what a tune only can do.
    it bumps up the waste pressure, right? not that surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Be surprised what a tuned 5.0 can do?

This second truck would be required for a potential new job
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I have a 13 F150 4x4 with 5.0L. If you think it's sluggish then owning a truck isn't for you. Hauls enough ass that I never think about it and gets 15 mpg around town with a ****load of idling at work and 17.5 mpg highway doing 80-85. I've had it for 7 months with 20k on it so far. I decided against the ecoboost because it was $2k more and seems like a gimmick to me. Plus it's more parts to break after the warranty expires. I like simple on a DD.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    it bumps up the waste pressure, right? not that surprising
    Tuned 5.0.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I have a 13 F150 4x4 with 5.0L. If you think it's sluggish then owning a truck isn't for you. Hauls enough ass that I never think about it and gets 15 mpg around town with a ****load of idling at work and 17.5 mpg highway doing 80-85. I've had it for 7 months with 20k on it so far. I decided against the ecoboost because it was $2k more and seems like a gimmick to me. Plus it's more parts to break after the warranty expires. I like simple on a DD.
    Ya a 3/4 ton that gets the same or better mpg you describe with 37's and can do long smokey burn outs has me spoiled.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

So get another diesel, that's what you are wanting. You'll never get that torque from a gas half ton pick up. Go find a dealer with 14s on the lot and bargain.
    Last edited by Sparling; 07-07-2014 at 09:51 PM.

How about one of those 14 "tradesman" crew cab dodges with the cummins? They have $4000 in customer cash right now and that should put you at ~$10k off sticker. Is that in your ballpark?

ill be your pickup man
    Neither is going to get the mileage you are expecting, in Houston, driving like an asshole.

They are both solid options.

Saw my first Ram 1500 ecodiesel yesterday. Looked like normal boring Dodge, sounded lame. Curious how those turn out and the MPGs they claim.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I got an '11 with the 5.0, runs great for me. When I was looking, I made sure I found one with 3.73's. Seemed to make a large difference. I get about the same milage as Sharpe, but with a leveling kit and next step up in tire size. If you want to look at performance options, look up 5star tuning.
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

I drove a ram ecodiesel and was impressed, but I doubt the mpg gains will actually make up for the price difference and the ford has a more comfortable cab. If the ecodiesel was a 4 cylinder cummins I would probably go that route though...

What kind of mileage am I expecting jb?

When do y'all think the 2015 fords will come out?

Tommy - I'm going to look into that tuning.
    Born to Kill

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I guess you are totally against a chevy? The ability to get power from an LS motor is shown in how many buggies and vehicles get LS Swaps. When was the last time you saw an Eco-Boost aftermarket swap?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Are the new Chevy/GMC trucks running the new LT motors? If so they have VVT and the cylinder deactivation to take it down to 4 cylinders cruising on the highway. The new 2014 refresh of the chevy is very nice on the inside. They finally have all of the creature features that the Ford has had for a while.

Ford has traditionally fit bigger people better. I've been in a 13 and wasn't impressed, maybe the 14 is better.
    Born to Kill