3 15.79%

8 42.11%
  • All new trucks suck

5 26.32%
  • I am a whore

3 15.79%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost vs 5.0

People will over analyze everything, just go buy what you want. If you want an ecoboost go buy it. Who gives a **** if a turbo goes out if it is under warranty, you will give it to ford and drive your dodge for a while. Just go buy what you want man, no one here is going to convince you otherwise, nor should they.

lowballing someone
    Dodge 1/2 ton diesel. Just to add to the equation and you said you wanted a diesel anyway
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    On my '06 duramax the mileage on the computer has always been within 0.1 mpg of what I hand calculate. It is the first vehicle I have ever scene that is accurate.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    On my '06 duramax the mileage on the computer has always been within 0.1 mpg of what I hand calculate. It is the first vehicle I have ever scene that is accurate.
    My dodge was correct to the nearest 1000 mpg. It was annoying because the mpg-erometer cut off at 999,999,999.99 mpg and I hand calculated (with my abacus) way better mpg than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    Dodge 1/2 ton diesel. Just to add to the equation and you said you wanted a diesel anyway
    It's been talked about and I'm looking but it's hard to find one equipped like I like for a reasonable price.

My dad's '12 mpg readout is always spot on and I have a very hard time believing the readout would show less than actual.

JB - I guess it's been hard to understand but my major concern is decent power/torque and not getting 10-13 mpg like I do with my current 6.2 v8.
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 07-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Only 5 more horsepower, torque is probably irrelevant since you will be towing with your dodge if you did have to tow
    Actually the torque makes a huge noticeable difference.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Not unless you like winding your **** out to 5k rpm
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Not unless you like winding your **** out to 5k rpm
    Now you're just talking out your ass. Forced induction applications give torque low in the RPM range, turbo's are no exception. See the graph below for the Ecoboost.

There's a lot of people talking out of their ass in this thread. Thanks for pointing it out.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Here's the one you need. This is on a chassis dyno, not an engine dyno. Where is the ecoboost torque at 2k rpms where you will more likely be cruising at?

Here's the one you need. This is on a chassis dyno, not an engine dyno. Where is the ecoboost torque at 2k rpms where you will more likely be cruising at?

Oh please keep telling me all about chassis dyno's, enlighten me oh enlightened one. Point is you said winding it out to 5K rpms, The ecoboost has a fairly flat torque curve starting with 90% of it's torque between 2500-3000 rpm's (depending on the dyno). It is at least 50 ft lbs at the wheels above the 5.0 at 3K rpms, that is very acceptable when mashing the skinny pedal. There is no "winding it out" imo.

The ecoboost is lots of fun in the explorer sport. The truck just feels like a regular v8 to me. I don't recall ever driving the 5.0 so I can't speak to that.
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Don't be scared of Sticker on Dodge, it doesn't mean crap to them. I just bought a 14 Ram 2500 CC 4wd Cummins Laramie on saturday, sticker was $58K and I bought it for $48K. Probably could have got more off of it if I was financing but since I was trading in a vehicle with a higher trade in than the vehicle I was buying they didn't want to go any lower.

Did you get screwed on your trade in? That seems like a smokin price.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Oh please keep telling me all about chassis dyno's, enlighten me oh enlightened one. Point is you said winding it out to 5K rpms, The ecoboost has a fairly flat torque curve starting with 90% of it's torque between 2500-3000 rpm's (depending on the dyno). It is at least 50 ft lbs at the wheels above the 5.0 at 3K rpms, that is very acceptable when mashing the skinny pedal. There is no "winding it out" imo.
    Who said anything about being enlightened? You posted a graph that means nothing in the real world. What the truck gets to the wheels is important. So I exaggerated a bit, so what. My point stands that at cruising rpm, the ecoboost doesn't make the torque that makes the difference between it and the 5.0 which means you're going to either give it more pedal than the 5.0 to do a small speed increase which means its either going to take longer to do the same thing or its going to downshift, and then upshift again once you let off. I dont know about you but i hate my truck downshifting on hills just to maintain speed.

Who said anything about being enlightened? You posted a graph that means nothing in the real world. What the truck gets to the wheels is important. So I exaggerated a bit, so what. My point stands that at cruising rpm, the ecoboost doesn't make the torque that makes the difference between it and the 5.0 which means you're going to either give it more pedal than the 5.0 to do a small speed increase which means its either going to take longer to do the same thing or its going to downshift, and then upshift again once you let off. I dont know about you but i hate my truck downshifting on hills just to maintain speed.

Then a chassis dyno means nothing either.

From my experience ( several thousand miles in a 5.0 and a few test drives in a ecoboost )

The 5.0 down shifts all the time which makes me hate the 6 speed transmission.

The ecoboost can handle the passing lane without downshifting.

And that is the main reason I was leaning towards ecoboost.
    Born to Kill