Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The EcoBoost Build Up

The EcoBoost Build Up

I can already tell I'm going to dump some money into this thing...

2014 Ford FX4
    - ecoboost
    - supercrew
    - 5.5 bed
    - 3.55 gears

This will be a street queen, but will still have standard hunting/fishing duties. Priorities in order are: maintaining or improving mpg, ride quality and power. I really like the ride hieght but could use some more ground clearance in the front because after the first trip down the beach it bottoms out and rips skid plates off very easily.

Current plans ( unless I can find a re-newed interest in the dodge )

- boost gauge
    - relocate a bigger inner cooler in front of the radiator ( instead of being inside the front bumper )
    - 2.5 fox struts for the front and possibly raptor take-offs for the rear.
    - new upper a-arms with uniballs instead of the ball joints
    - tougher skid plates
    - 32-33 inch tire and wheel combo that weighs less than the factory 20's
    - possibly a new front bumper
    - some type of tool box that will still allow my dirt bike to fit in the bed.

Last edited by BroncoJo; 07-22-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

That thing needs some black methods.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    That thing needs some black methods.
    What tires? I'm thinking less aggressive and lighter than the toyo mts.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Red labels would be sweet but that would only be for looks. For a functional tire maybe a toyo AT or something similar.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

That thing would look real dirty with some big method NVs and some lower profile red labels

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    That thing would look real dirty with some big method NVs and some lower profile red labels

I was thinking 18 inch NVs with 275/70/18 nitto terra grapplers
    Last edited by BroncoJo; 07-22-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Born to Kill

ill be your pickup man
    RCI metalworks makes skids for these trucks
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    Some sort of 'porkchop' box or the Swingcase that Texags Auto guys jack it to would work. I have been looking for a Weatherguard porkchop for awhile, but they are expensive.(Ill prob end up with WG side boxes).

I think the skinny crossover boxes look funny. Keep in mind, the back seat of the F150s is enormous, so alot of stuff can stay back there.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    RCI metalworks makes skids for these trucks
    Any experience with RCI? I'll probably order the transmission skid tomorrow.
    Born to Kill

ill be your pickup man
    No, just seen them advertised on some of the dumb little F150 sites that pull up when you Google stupid ****.

I have replaced 3 Ford engine skids on my 04. Planning a big trip for the end of the summer so I have been planning on buying the set of 3. $5-600 is not that bad. Both engine and t-case are currently all bent up.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Priorities in order are: maintaining or improving mpg, ride quality and power.
    - 2.5 fox struts for the front and possibly raptor take-offs for the rear.
    - 32-33 inch tire and wheel combo that weighs less than the factory 20's.
    I'm all for chunkier tires and some lift, but mpg's and big tires don't normally go together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Some sort of 'porkchop' box or the Swingcase that Texags Auto guys jack it to would work. I have been looking for a Weatherguard porkchop for awhile, but they are expensive.(Ill prob end up with WG side boxes).

I think the skinny crossover boxes look funny. Keep in mind, the back seat of the F150s is enormous, so alot of stuff can stay back there.
    I think the pork chop box would be the most functional, but I only plan to keep the bare necessities and would like the box to not be very visible. I'm thinking a low-profile box across the bottom of the bed nearest the cab that I could use as a front wheel chalk for bikes. Hopefully I want have to make one as it would probably turn out very heavy.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    I'm all for chunkier tires and some lift, but mpg's and big tires don't normally go together.
    Hence why I'm staying with 32-33 inch tires that weigh the same or less. Factory tires are 32.25" and I would be keeping the same ride height, just upgrading the strut.
    Born to Kill

ill be your pickup man
    I had a lo profile WG crossover box in my '10 with a 5.5 bed. Did not leave room for much else. I believe it took up 20". I can't find any pics of my Honda Fourtrax 300 (small ATV) in there, but I think I did, back tires hanging off tailgate. Not sure length on dirtbikes, but I guess you could angle it in there. IMO, I don't think you need all that toolbox space. Maybe some sort of box that could be removable? With all the stuff you are in to, camping, kayaks, fishing etc, maybe removable would work best.
    Last edited by JB; 07-22-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I had a lo profile WG crossover box in my '10 with a 5.5 bed. Did not leave room for much else. I believe it took up 20". I can't find any pics of my Honda Fourtrax 300 (small ATV) in there, but I think I did, back tires hanging off tailgate. Not sure length on dirtbikes, but I guess you could angle it in there. IMO, I don't think you need all that toolbox space. Maybe some sort of box that could be removable? With all the stuff you are in to, camping, kayaks, fishing etc, maybe removable would work best.
    I agree something removable would probably be best, especially if I can attach it in a manner that can't easily be removed by thieves.

My idea of a permanent box would be a crossover that was only ~ 1'x1' set in the corner created by the bed floor and cab wall that was strong enough to be used as a chalk for the front tire of a dirt bike. Maybe that explains it a little better.
    Born to Kill