Thread: IFS gone!!!!!!!

bigFAWKINranger

IFS gone!!!!!!!

lemme give some plot buildup here.. lately i've been catchin some nasty grinding vibrating from under the truck... after draining the grey/silver water from my t case i figured that HAD to be the problem. so last weekend we swapped in a manual shift transfer case. didn't fix it. well after looking at the axle grease all over my undercarriage i figured it was obvious that the inner cv axle seal was fukked. removed the cv axle. didn't fix it. BUT... today at 7am on my way to work, i found the problem.
    you see kids, the wheel bearing on the ranger is similar to that of a straight axle except that it has a splined hole in the center and the cv shaft fits that, and the bearing itself is a fully sealed unit that bolts to the knuckle. well ironically enough, with the cv shaft missing, and therefore no spindle nut to retain that wheel bearing i mentioned, the bearing was free to completely lock up. since it locked up, but the wheel was turning, it just sheared off the bolts in the knuckle. as it left the truck, it took the caliper, brake hose, rotor and wheel bearing with it into oncoming traffic. my fender dropped to the ground and hit the curb at 50mph. i got the truck off the street and awaited a friendly "recovery" from dan reed. we DRAGGED it home on 3 tires and a lower control arm... sparks flew, fire burned, metal screamed and pavement chipped.... but here's what she looked like when i got her home... BY THE WAY, I HAVE COMPLETELY REMOVED THE IFS SYSTEM IN ITS ENTIRETY AT THIS POINT.

bigFAWKINranger
    if you'll notice, the lower arm is gone at the outermost point, and you can see where the knuckle is broken from the caliper still being on my detached rotor. also the paint on my shock absorber indicates the small fire that started.

bigFAWKINranger
    anybody notice the missing ball joint in the lower arm? it dissintegrated along with the lower portion of the knuckle and the a-arm.

bigFAWKINranger
    by the way, each one of these posts is refeering to the picture ABOVE it. thats the easiest way for me to describe the pics since i haven't actually looked at em enough to know which is which...

bigFAWKINranger
    the pic above this shows the NASTY little bit of body damage i got from that slide into the curb at 50mph.

bigFAWKINranger
    more fukked up chit.

bigFAWKINranger

bigFAWKINranger
    above you'll notice the caliper is still wedged between the wheel and the rotor. you can also see the wheel beariing unit with the splined hole in the middle. that little bastard caused all o this. oh and for those who aren't real sharp, thats my dot3/4 all over the tire.

bigFAWKINranger
    in the one above, you can see where i trimmed the lower portions of the quarter panels.... look real hard and you can see that my springs are my lowest point. also you can see the tamor website sticker i had made.

the sticker looks like www.ta if that is www.t&a.com I am down... If those fawkers at cc creations ever get the round stickers done I will ask them about the www.tamor.org stickers I have in mind...If not I will find somebody else, but that is a good idea
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Keep cutting Adam

cut once, and measure later. I think thats how the saying goes.