Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: doodlebug 2.0

lowballing someone

doodlebug 2.0

Well its been long over due. Time to make my jeep reliable and more capable. I'm to old to still be trying to skimp and cheap out and just get by. That being said this is not an unlimited budget build but I hope it turns out nice
    As it sits
    81 jeep cj5
    d30 4.10 auzzie scout stubs full chromo front with warn full outer upgrade wide track
    d44 4.10 and detroit narrow track
    4.0 d300 clocked flat
    4.2 with 4.0 head hei and 3838 webber
    t176 4 speed that the shifter likes to pop out of place
    2.5" lift
    1" integrated body mount lift
    full cage not tied to frame
    tj flares and flat fenders
    warn winches front and rear
    q78 measuring 35" tsl on 15x10 beadlocks
    etc

I blew the motor a year ago in clayton and all the springs are bent and there are a few cracks in the frame
    Time for several drastic changes

Jeep 4.7l Stroker
    Keith Black 944 forged .040 pistons
    Hesco ‪#‎RVOB6‬ camshaft
    Double roller chain
    4.2l crank
    4.0l rods
    ARP studs
    I will probably port match the head
    38/38 webber for now with jeep efi and bigger injectors later

suspension will be 3 link front and 4 link rear
    i have a pair of coil overs and a pair of air shocks so i will probably use those

full hydro steering with psc ram undecided pump

wheel base stretch to 98 ish

Scout 44s) spooled front/rear, 5.38s, alloy USA inners, new Yukon outers, warn hubs with 3 or 4 spare hubs, spare stock inner/outer fronts and 6 rear shafts, bronco rotors, Chevy calipers, 2.5x8 PSC ram, front Clayton 3 link, double triangulated rear.

i will probably put in the t5 i have laying around to replace the t176 as i would like to build this so it can be highway driven
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Can't wait to see it done!

lowballing someone
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  56.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  49.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  57.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  59.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  74.2 KB
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

lowballing someone
    the first is the short block
    that second picture is of the jeep hibernating under a bunch of early bronco parts
    i'm not sure why some are upside down. stupid ipad

Why the three link instead of a 4 link in the front?

lowballing someone
    Because I'm gonna keep it as low as possible and don't want links in the oil pan. Also axle is already set up for a 3 link

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Couple things...

Doodlebug? Really?

Why put all the time into a low pinion, non-high steer front axle? Has that axle even been cut and turned, or does it have negative caster like a mofo? Hard to tell from the pics.

What are you using for front axle ujoints?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

lowballing someone
    A hp would get into the motor. I'm keeping it low. The knuckles were supposed to be turned but I haven't measured angle. The ujoints are supposed to be spicer
    The jeep was called doodlebug years ago when someone saw is crawl over a hard spot easily that better built rigs were having trouble with. and someone said it looked like a bug just climbing and somehow it became doodlebug by the end of the conversation. I like it. Also the original name of the duke never really fit.

lowballing someone
    And I could add high steer later but it already has full hydro set up

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I call shananigans on a high pinion getting into the engine. Early Broncos came stock with HP44's and they are plenty low. I think the only reason for low pinion is that is what you got a good deal on.

Also, I am depressed with the state of the board, Doodlebug, it took like 2 days for someone to bust your balls, which evidently you don't have because you named this thing doodlebug. The Duke's not dead, he's just frozen, and as soon as we find a cure for cancer we're gonna thaw out the Duke out and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiply that by 15 million times, that's how pissed off he's gonna be. and he's gonna kick your ass for changing from the Duke to Doodlebug.

Also I already had a nickname for the Duke, I called it the Deuce. You know like poop. However Doodlebug because it already is so girly, I can't think of an insult nickname.
    Last edited by KrazyKarl02; 01-28-2015 at 08:13 AM.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

ladybug because its red
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

lowballing someone
    Early broncos all had lp. You have to lift it at least 3.5" to fit a hp axle in and keep it out of the motor FYI. I have 3 early broncos.

lowballing someone
    And yes of course I got a smoking deal on the axles

They say that being gay is in your genes, and nothing makes you gay. I surmise that is only because no one has named their son Doodlebug, yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I stand corrected, Early Broncos are low pinion.

The name however I stand firm on being gayer than a salad for lunch.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette