Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil issues

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    While he's doing the LS swap he should go ahead and do the one ton axle swap....
    Only if he plans on keeping it for a while...
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Why would new rings last only 10,000 miles? Inframe overhaul can be done over a weekend easy. Really isn't that much to it. Problem is you don't know what you're dealing with until it's opened up as far as condition of cylinders, pistons, and crank. Crank is usually good unless it's knocking or loss of oil pressure, so you've got a questionable there already. If you check compression and all are low but even the cylinders are probably fine. If one is near zero that's likely broken ring/piston which would mess up the cylinder wall. Also the chance it could just be bad valve stem seals.

Replacement used engine is probably your best bet. I usually came out ahead after parting out the old engine.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I was assuming with that many miles the cylinder walls would no longer be in good shape.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Alright, so I got around to doing a compression test this afternoon and found that all cylinders are below spec for pressure. Spec is 120, mine ranged from 100 -115; majority hitting the 105-110 mark. With an engine that has close to 227k miles on it, I'm not real surprised that they aren't at that factory mark. Since I couldn't single out a cylinder, I'm pretty much still at square one. Next thing I plan on doing is changing oil and dropping the oil pan while I'm at it to see if there is anything there to see (just curious after reading Freds thread from a while back). I've been using Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic 10W-30, but because it's not cheap and for now I have to keep adding oil on a regular basis; are there any recommendations for a cheaper oil?
    Collin Nethery
    '99 TJ
    c/o '17 ANSC major
    2016-2017 President

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLNethery View Post
    About 6 months ago my oil pressure started dropping off to 0 then bouncing back as I drive or keep the rpm up. Not sure if that helps diagnose the issue or not, I considered replacing the oil pump but never got around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLNethery View Post
    Next thing I plan on doing is changing oil and dropping the oil pan while I'm at it to see if there is anything there to see (just curious after reading Freds thread from a while back). I've been using Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic 10W-30, but because it's not cheap and for now I have to keep adding oil on a regular basis; are there any recommendations for a cheaper oil?
    If you were losing/had no oil pressure and kept driving, best case is your oil pressure sending unit is intermittent, worst case your oil pump is failing and likely trashed the rod and main bearings. Not likely you're going to see much by just dropping the oil pan other than potential glitter/bearing shavings in the oil. I would pull a couple rod and main caps to check the bearings.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but synthetic will seep thru worn out rings more than conventional motor oil. I would go back to normal motor oil, that will reduce some of your consumption. Other than that, it's either new engine or rebuild time.

Well or it's buy oil by the case time....
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Well or it's buy oil by the case time....
    As a member of the oil industry I approve this method.
    BDR

You could put your roommate's used oil in your truck daily like Ryno did with the Exxon Valdez.

Even compression sounds like good news to me, no one cylinder wall is trashed, rings are just worn. Spend a weekend putting new rings and bearings in it and call it good
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

If you pull the pan, clean the screen on the oil pump.

Is there anything proven of "high mileage" oil? I always just figure thats marketing bs.
    Last edited by eight; 05-18-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Buy your bargain basement oil from Napa (or whatever parts store), no need in spending dough on synthetic or the like now. You can go to Mustang Cat and get an oil sample kit from them to see what all is in the oil, that's what I use on my truck and equipment to keep an eye out for problems. Part # 1612, I have the little siphon pump that will pull it out of the dipstick tube if you want to pull a sample before you drop the pan/change oil. The tube doesn't fit down the dipstick tube on my wife's explorer, so that might be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    Buy your bargain basement oil from Napa (or whatever parts store), no need in spending dough on synthetic or the like now. You can go to Mustang Cat and get an oil sample kit from them to see what all is in the oil, that's what I use on my truck and equipment to keep an eye out for problems. Part # 1612, I have the little siphon pump that will pull it out of the dipstick tube if you want to pull a sample before you drop the pan/change oil. The tube doesn't fit down the dipstick tube on my wife's explorer, so that might be an issue.
    Did the sample from the red truck come back with "crank is about to break in half"
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    No, but the red truck is the reason I take samples every 12,500 miles (change the oil every 25k) now. I was using the Amsoil sample kits, but found the Caterpillar ones get read faster and are a bit cheaper. Besides, I buy them by the dozen for work anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Haven't updated in a while. So I replaced the bearings AND the oil pump, all were original so they had 233k miles on them. That fixed the oil pressure issue, but not the issue with it burning oil. Long story short, pulled the engine over the break to find 3 cracked pistons a cracked exhaust manifold (obviously not part of the problem, just a different problem), and one worn out engine. A month later, it's still sitting at the machine shop getting worked on.
    Work on engine completed or in progress:

Overhaul
    - grinding crank and connecting rod journals .010"
    - boring cylinders .030"
    - replacing pistons
    - replacing camshaft & lifters

Cleaned & checked head - no issues
    Cleaned & checked block - no issues
    Checked timing gears and chain - no issues
    Replacing freeze plugs
    Replacing exhaust manifold
    Resurfacing clutch
    Collin Nethery
    '99 TJ
    c/o '17 ANSC major
    2016-2017 President

That ought to freshin it up.

So they aren't doing any head work? Seems like, after 233K, a valve job and resurfacing the head would be a good choice.