Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Show us Your Vintage Tools and Vintage Garage Stuff

Here are some pics of my antique lawn mower. What we have here is the pinnacle of lawn mowing technology at the time. It is a 1951 Jacobsen Lawn Queen Reel Mower. This beauty is Self-Propelled with an efficient 2 cycle motor. I mix it at 16:1 with non detergent 30 wt oil. It starts up usually on the 3rd or 4th pull. It runs really low RPMs for a 2 cycle...maybe 2000-2500 RPM max. When I bought it the fuel cap was frozen on and the spark plug wire was cut. The guy I bought it from was out of Wichita Falls. He said it came from the estate of a prominent doctor there in W F and that he was told that the wire was cut to keep the yard guy from using it. I got the cap off, dissembled and cleaned the carb, fixed the spark plug wire and it fired up and idled.

I sharpened the reel with valve lapping compund. It will now cut a piece of paper. Some cool things about it: There are little oilers everywhere on the machine. It has an oil bath air cleaner. It has wire cable for the pull rope.

People break their necks when driving by the house when I mow the yard. Exhaust doubles as mosquito fogger so I'm guessing the mower is not CARB compliant! I wish it mowed a little taller. I bought a wooden baseball bat turning blank made of hard maple to use to make new replacement rollers. I can't decide whether to keep it or sell it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Maybe this one's not "vintage", just old. But definitely a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

stalker. hey maybe you could start a thread about some of your hobbies....oh...my bad. Well, you could always start one on fuel mileage results from different oil additives that you have tried in your leased automobiles at jiffy lube!

stalker. hey maybe you could start a thread about some of your hobbies....oh...my bad. Well, you could always start one on fuel mileage results from different oil additives that you have tried in your leased automobiles at jiffy lube!
    Just so we're clear, you WANT me to start a thread about drinking ****ty beer and jerking off to snuff films...or putting amsoil in my leased beemer?
    Last edited by jerryg79; 07-24-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    So you loose, I win!

Found this gem in the closet...not the sharpest tool, but definitely wanted to come out.

So you loose, I win!

Here is my 1971 snap on tool box I got for $30 of Craig's List.

I got this one for $350 from same guy. It's not as old..I think early 1990's

These two I got off craiglslist as well...I bought them with a Williams roll around that I gave my Dad. Paid $75 for all three. I think Williams is industrial Snap-On. The older toolboxes look the same. The litttle 2 drawer I just though was cool. It's made in Los Angelos, CA. The big top machinest chest is a Hout (pronounced hewit). Cork lines drawers. They are still in business in St Paul, MN. They make drill index boxes for govt. contractors. Their old boxes are very cool. Usually hammertone navy blue and silver. I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

The brown one is just your run of the mill Kennedy machinist chest. Jimmy picked that one up for me for $20. 2nd last pic is the wall of tool boxes, they're full.

Where do you find all your info? Garage journal?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Yeah. Garage journal or google advanced search of GJ...The other way I have found that works is to search the name via google image search, scroll through and then follow the picture link. It usually leads to a forum or some collector dude's website.