Thread: Show us Your Vintage Tools and Vintage Garage Stuff

Threaded View

Here are some pics of my antique lawn mower. What we have here is the pinnacle of lawn mowing technology at the time. It is a 1951 Jacobsen Lawn Queen Reel Mower. This beauty is Self-Propelled with an efficient 2 cycle motor. I mix it at 16:1 with non detergent 30 wt oil. It starts up usually on the 3rd or 4th pull. It runs really low RPMs for a 2 cycle...maybe 2000-2500 RPM max. When I bought it the fuel cap was frozen on and the spark plug wire was cut. The guy I bought it from was out of Wichita Falls. He said it came from the estate of a prominent doctor there in W F and that he was told that the wire was cut to keep the yard guy from using it. I got the cap off, dissembled and cleaned the carb, fixed the spark plug wire and it fired up and idled.

I sharpened the reel with valve lapping compund. It will now cut a piece of paper. Some cool things about it: There are little oilers everywhere on the machine. It has an oil bath air cleaner. It has wire cable for the pull rope.

People break their necks when driving by the house when I mow the yard. Exhaust doubles as mosquito fogger so I'm guessing the mower is not CARB compliant! I wish it mowed a little taller. I bought a wooden baseball bat turning blank made of hard maple to use to make new replacement rollers. I can't decide whether to keep it or sell it.
    Attached Images Attached Images