Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Start to an off-road build on a 1988 Cherokee Chief

Super Moderator CamperSpecial67's Avatar
    Should I run stock wheels or should I get some cheap ones that are a little wider to run bigger tires?

Narrow wheels will keep a bead better on the trail than wider ones.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

I like the skinny wheel
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

You could run a 33x10.5x15 on a 8" steel wheel. I had that set up on my CJ many years ago and it performed well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

I have always run a 12.50 on 8 in wide wheels. That seems to work for me.
    -Andrew-

1999 Cherokee crawler (The OD)
    2000 F250 7.3l (The tow rig)
    2006 KTM 625 SMC (The supermoto)
    2009 KTM 250 XC (The 2 smoker)

So like 15x8 with some 33x12.5 tires, cut fenders, cheap short arm lift, bumpers and sliders, winch, and axle work. Recommendations for what I should do for the axles? I want to swap out the two piece on in the front for just a long shaft, could that work? Don't have much experience with gearing and stuff like that. Should I try to find some different axles to swap in or will I be ok with a few mods done to the stock ones?

ill be your pickup man
    Keep it simple for now and wheel it. I would just keep an eye on the for sale forums, craigslists, facebook etc for people selling stuff. XJ front springs and arms and rear blocks are going to be pretty popular for sale items as people upgrade.

People will say to just build it once, but I think in your case, being on a budget, and not having much experience wheeling, a shortarm setup, 33s max and maybe one locker, would be a good starting point. Wheel it, then wheel it some more, then upgrade the parts you think you need too.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by CamperSpecial67 View Post
    So like 15x8 with some 33x12.5 tires, cut fenders, cheap short arm lift, bumpers and sliders, winch, and axle work. Recommendations for what I should do for the axles? I want to swap out the two piece on in the front for just a long shaft, could that work? Don't have much experience with gearing and stuff like that. Should I try to find some different axles to swap in or will I be ok with a few mods done to the stock ones?
    If I were you.

Short term:
    cheap 2-4" lift (keep in mind, as you get close to the 4" lift, you will probably need to look into a slip yoke eliminator kit for the transfer case which would also require a new rear drive shaft)
    32-34" tires
    cheap lockers (i run Aussie lockers they are 200-250/each and don't require you to re-setup the gears)
    Winch
    make bumpers
    make sliders
    make skids
    try and pick up spare shafts (axle and drive)

Depending on budget....
    cage
    swap rear axle for a ford 8.8 (i think you would need wheel spacers to match axle width)
    add locker and chromo shafts to 8.8
    chromo shafts in front dana 30 (add 4:10 gears to match the 8.8 rear axle)
    upgrade suspension
    hydro-assist steering
    35-37" tires
    bead lock rims

Long term:
    find a better build platform...

but that's just my opinion. I think Cherokees are the perfect budget wheeler, but if/when you want to step up to 1 tons, 40"+ tires, and a real suspension... i think you are better suited building a rig that has a frame.

What rear drive shaft should I go with if I end up getting the eliminator?

ill be your pickup man
    Build one or have one built. I had a few built by BVD, which way back when, was off 2818 just past the Hall of Fame. Just tell them what you are doing and give them the measurement.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

What do you need? I have a tom woods 1310 cv shaft that you would probably have to get retubed/lengthened and balanced but it would save you from starting from scratch.
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Can you take your stock shaft, flip it around, so the axle end is at the t-case. I am assuming on Cherokee it runs 1310 u-joints. Then take the shaft to a driveline shop and have them weld a slip section in?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Howdy Guys!

Been awhile since I posted, school and work keepin me pretty busy, but have had a lot of fun wheeling it the past semester and over the break. Only run I missed last year was Clayton :/ plan to hopefully make it up there next year. But on the brighter note the jeep has gone on 6 trips since I last posted. Figured out the lame vacuum powered two piece set up was causing my issues with the 4x4 not engaging. So I flipped the CAD upside down, moved the cuplink over and reinstalled it, added some gear oil. Works great on the trails. Only been stuck a handful of times this far. My brother posted his pic of it stuck at Creekside on the Facebook page (didn't even drive it on that trip) but we had an extra set of all terrains lying around and put those on. Been keeping an eye out for extra axles and drive shafts and found some at a puck and pull. wont really do the lift and bigger tires till this summer, but have been making upgrades here and there to make it road worthy for long trips to the trails. Heard the Clayton trip was a lot of fun, bummed to not get to see the legend in action.

Nice. When is the next ride?

So update on the Chief. Been on three runs this year so far and just got through with an awesome run this past weekend in Crawford. With a mostly stock set up, front sway link out, a little bit of air down for the tires it has performed far past expectations. Though it gets high centered quite often that's expected with wheels and tires. Been keeping my eye out for used lifts, parts and such. Next run there were thoughts about rednecks with paychecks, but seeing as most members won't be able to make it we might make a change do a hidden falls run sometime after spring break. Here's a pic of us playing around and getting the jeep really high centered this past weekend.