Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Start to an off-road build on a 1988 Cherokee Chief

Super Moderator CamperSpecial67's Avatar
    Haven't been on in awhile but here's another update. Wheeled a lot since I Iraq started this thread, also done my homework on building it up. But for now 2" BB and 33s with trimming and bumpstops is what I'm running now on it. LOVE the bigger footprint. Plans for axles is to swap in a HP Dana 30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear go with 4.56s and Aussie locker. Lookin into a hybrid 4in from DPG Offroad it's a rubicon express left with some off there goodies thrown in for just under 1k. Hoping to make it to Clayton ready or not this year and wheel the hell outta it. Threw in a sound system, rock lights a light bar for night wheeling we've done at hidden falls. Eventually want a 3 link set up instead of a radius arm set up whenever I go long arms. Here's a pic of it two weeks ago in Huntsville at General Sam's. I'm still getting the mud out of my ears!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 692
Size:  125.8 KB

Looks fun
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I wouldn't put another D30 in. HP 44s aren't too hard to find and you may well break that too. My uncles Fred and Jimmy Brune break/broke D44 shafts regularly and Jimmy ripped a steering knuckle off at least once that I can remember. They are/were on 35s and IH Scouts but a 33 isn't *that* much smaller. The peace of mind/expense ratio of D30 vs D44 leans D44 every time.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Am I reading that correct? You are swapping IN a Chrysler 8.25?

What is in it now? Why not go with an 8.8? They are cheap, plentiful, should match your current wheel bolt pattern, and can be built to handle some abuse.

Another plus side is that 8.8s are common with 4.10 gears. I know you said you were swapping to 4.56, but for budget wheeling... swapping in a 4.10 8.8 gets you decent gearing and then you only have to re-gear the front. Plus the numerically higher the gear ratio, the weaker the pinion is... and with a D30 that is something to keep in mind.

8.8 swap FTW. We put one in taylors grand cherokee and it's been flawless. Stock disk brakes are area huge plus
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

8.8 swap FTW. We put one in taylors grand cherokee and it's been flawless. Stock disk brakes are a huge plus
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

He is prob swaping in a 8.25 cause it's a direct bolt up. No need to weld perches, shock mounts, ect. Like you have to do with the 8.8. Quick fast and cheap upgrade. I'm sure he has a Dana 35 stock so the 8.25 is a huge bolt in upgrade, and it's not too far off in strength from the 8.8.
    1988 Comanche auto, 4.0, 4x4, 8.8 rear trussed, Dana 30 trussed, SYE np231, Serious Offroad long arms, 9.5" of lift, 35's, lockers

zebvance is correct, i want the 8.25 because cheap, better than d35 and will bolt up. even better i might have a line on a free one which only helps the cause. dont plan on going bigger than the 33s for now, and the d30 front ive been out of the newer cherokees worked fine for jeff brown and he was runnin it hard on 35s. just ideas, and always looking for helpful input. yes hp 44s would be obvious better choice but for time wise to fab up everything necessary to make the swap a reality would put my jeep out of commission for longer than id like. plus later on a better platform is where ill be doing it the right way the first time with something that is frame and chassis

I like your plan, may not be traditional TAMOR, but whatever.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Kinda put together a list for clayton this year and what needs to get done in repairs and upgrades
    LCA bushings
    UCA bushings
    new leaf packs or bastard packs for rear, mine our wore out and are in need of replacement
    Steering gear box
    Power steering pump
    Front brake job
    service ccv system
    Skids (Engine, oil, to trans cross member skid since this as of now is a low cog build) and maybe a gas tank skid in the back
    rock sliders
    front winch bumper
    spare tire and maybe fab up a receiver hitch mount for rear to stick the spare on
    extended brake lines front and rear
    front bumpstops
    rear bumpstops
    service the d35
    no spare axles needed since im just gunna run open diffs and winch out when i get stuck
    look into roll cage of some sort, seen some pre fabbed ones online i might try to make a simplified version to add a little piece of mind while driving the flimsy beer can that is an XJ
    hood louvers to keep heat down
    get trailer registration up to date
    any other suggestions would be great!
    yes very unconventional build, but i think it'll work for my budget, have a lot of fun and go wheel cause that why we're here right?? until i can get new axles in, lockers, cage, lift.... and probably sell it for something that isnt a unibody

Quote Originally Posted by CamperSpecial67 View Post
    go wheel cause that why we're here right??
    We're here to drink beer but it turns out that if you do it at home by yourself and snapchat pictures of your wet bar at home that makes you an alcoholic.

List looks good, I'd make sure the sliders are a priority, they'll help you get hung up less on the trail. Brakes are important too.

I was thinking more like: "drink beer and **** **** up"

Also I think college is the best time for non-bolt on projects. Now that I'm married and focused on work (for what ever reason I'm not quite sure) I like the idea of bolt on upgrades or paying someone to do my dirty work. For you I suggest ditching all of your plans and start scouring craiglist for a welder, torch and tubing bender. Learn, build and repeat 1000 times.

*** it also took me 6 years to get my eng degree because I spent most of my time in the shop, and my only regret is I didn't spend enough time building *******
    Born to Kill

most the stuff on their i want to build, already have a welder and a place to fab up stuff. Spend just about every night wrenching their with my brother and a few members. if i start running outta time i might buy a few things on my list to make it ready enough for clayton. list isnt in order, my written one is on a chalkboard in the shop. sliders a must and top of the list, winch and brakes also up there. the rest we'll see what i can get to. already have the metal to build the skids, and maybe some body armor but thats it i have left overs. tube bender is the one thing ive been debating for weeks on, they aint cheap.

and also on track for a 5-6 year degree plan, paying my way and work too much to take more than 12 hours a semester.

Sounds like you are on the right track
    Born to Kill