Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Start to an off-road build on a 1988 Cherokee Chief

Super Moderator CamperSpecial67's Avatar
    im also gunna add a grille guard thats a mix between an arb and warn design, but any suggestions for the bumper?
    Going with:
    3/16 for the shell
    1/4 for the unibody tie in for the bumper
    1/4 for winch plate
    3/4 d ring mounts
    extra 1/4 for a steering box reinforcement
    1x1 tubing for the grille guard
    2x2 tubing on the ends to wrap around the corners for grille protection

hopefully come out to somthing close to the pic below

and mounting for the winch plate and d rings:

Oh! also forgot to add a member from the club will be cutting the pieces for the bumper with a cnc machine... for free! so with that i might be getting a locker for the front here soon..

All sounds good except the tubing selection. I think 1" and 2" will look odd, especially together. 1.5" or 1.75" is more typical.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

awesome, well i decided before the post and after i did the rough sketch that the corner wrap is just going to be a piece of 2x2 goin straight back from the corner and run along the bottom of the fender kinda like JCR runs, helps with weight, fab time and such, but i'd definetly will change the grille guard to 1.5-1.75 depending on what i can get my hands on. very happy i decided to build it, gunna be more fun, cheaper and ill get exactly what i want all in one

Sounds like a plan.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

tie ins look good. I don't like the exposed sheet metal top edge on that front bumper. Give it something you can stand on, or at least set a drink on. custom fab I think on 2818 did all the press brake work for me when I did a similar project https://www.dropbox.com/s/rswtswe9wu..._docs.pdf?dl=0 ARB uses around 2". Anything less than 1.75 will look odd.

Tuck that bumper in as close to the grill as possible. I've even seen some guys cut the grill to recess the winch back as close to the radiator as possible. I've got an ARB on my XJ and it works well but just sticks out too far. With 35's I find the bumper hangs me on even mild sized ledges. I have to approach most ledges/walls at a pretty good angle to get one front tire climbing in order to get the front end up. This leaves me at some precarious angles sometimes. The pic below is from Clayton 2013. I made that ledge that year. 2014 wasn't so lucky and ended up with my passenger in the drink.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 10-14-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    Tuck that bumper in as close to the grill as possible. I've even seen some guys cut the grill to recess the winch back as close to the radiator as possible. I've got an ARB on my XJ and it works well but just sticks out too far. With 35's I find the bumper hangs me on even mild sized ledges. I have to approach most ledges/walls at a pretty good angle to get one front tire climbing in order to get the front end up. This leaves me at some precarious angles sometimes. The pic below is from Clayton 2013. I made that ledge that year. 2014 wasn't so lucky and ended up with my passenger in the drink.
    And a late departure while we went searching for your truck keys in the creek that was off limits to wheeling!
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

"It's not cheating if you pay for it"

Yeah you're right on the sheet metal coming up in the middle, maybe ill extended that back towards the grille and make a seat/drink holder when i'm working on the dam thing (which is about every night it seems) bumper is just about done being cut out. I still need to grab some tubing for the grille guard, but ill worry about that once i have the bottom half of it built and adjusted to my liking. as of now it only extends 5 inches from the front cross member to the very front of the bumper at the longest, and tappers down a the corners. I like the grille trimming idea and will probably implement that.

Been awhile since i last updated yall so here goes:

I'm right now either have a free 10,000 Warn or 10,000 trail gear at a largely discounted price. The difference is the Warn needs the wiring, but has the controller and the trail gear has everything ready to go in but i have to pay a couple hundred for. Leaning the to the Warn if my father will let me pull it outta storage (hasn't seen his 02 f250 in years) which is also where the controller and wiring are located (on and in the truck).

Lunchbox for the front dana 30, with later model axles with the larger u joints to do the two piece to one piece swap also looking to happen end of this month. (leaving the 35 open, would rather spin tires than break and be done for the weekend. waste of time and money to junkyard d35 shafts)

I NEED sliders. Have made little to no progress on them because lack of metal. If it looks like im running outta time i might pony up the cash for some but right now still hoping to slap some together (plan to buy the tubing for the sliders and the grille guard for the bumper all at once)

Leaking oil pretty good right now. Probably needs a new rear main, timing cover seal, oil pan and valve cover gaskets for good measure. But its gone 1000 miles and haven't had to add any oil yet. Just annoying having it drip on the exhaust and having a slight haze of smoke occasionally come out from under the jeep.

Did the door mod all the way around so now they all come off and on easily. Pretty sure they'll be staying on for clayton though

installed some rear pods in the hatch. great to finally be able to see where im going when backing up!

Here's a few pics to go along with it!
    Name:  IMG_4791.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4792.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  68.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CamperSpecial67; 11-10-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Downer of an update.
    Broke bad enough at hidden falls this past weekend to force me into leaving the jeep at home for Clayton this year. From the rear output shaft back is toast. Slip yoke, rear driveshaft and d35 pinon are damaged and unrepairable. I refuse to put a dime into the d35, so now I'm taking it off the road and building it the right way to be ready next fall. It's a bummer, but part of the sport. I will however be bringing the best white elephant gift to Clayton this year so be ready for it! It's been a mess putting the shirt design and order together. Anyways gunna start on it the beginning of next year. With my truck close to being back on the road I'm going from budget wheeler to a money pit. Become to attached to it now to upgrade to a better platform, so just gunna build what I got and have a blast doing it!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    While I agree the Dana 35 sucks, can you not just go to a junk yard and get the t-case output, driveshaft and diff yoke? For like $100? Seems like something Junior would have, mudtoy67 probably has his number.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Money is one issue, the other being that it set me behind in my tight build plan to make it to Clayton. I did not want to be up there without a locker, winch and bumper, and sliders at minimum. I'd be breaking more than wheeling and not tryin to be a boat anchor on the trip draggin the pace down. I also damaged the exhaust which a quick saw zaw job will fix. But the bottom line is, do I really want to wheel Clayton without sliders and locker? That's the main reason why i think it would be smarter to leave at home, rather than bring it all the way up to not be able to do a lot of the trails because of open diffs

You still need a way to get up the mountain. Even just cruising the mountain roads between trails is entertaining and we may be short on trail seats. I'd fix it!

i might go hit up a junkyard, we'll see what the next paycheck is lookin like. though i won't have it where i originally wanted it ill still beat the hell outta it anyways and have a whole year to get it ready for clayton 2017

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Sharpe once took a diesel truck with no alternator and only 1st or reverse. He started it on the trailer at the hotel and never shut it off the entire day. However he did not have to walk.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette