Thread: Picked up a New(to me) Compressor

Picked up a New(to me) Compressor

I had been on the look out for a compressor to replace my Harbor Freight 8 gallon special. I was only looking for a single stage belt drive with a 30+ gallon tank. But I found this in Lockhart and for the low low cost of FREE. I could not pass it up. I just had to disconnect the air and power lines and then unbolt it from the floor. The "shop"(more of a quick lube place) said the motor stopped working some years ago. At the time they had someone out to look at it and would cost to much to get a Quincy replacement so they bought a different cheaper compressor for their needs.

From talking with Quincy support its 1997 QT-5 Dual Stage 5HP 80 gallon 230 single phase compressor. From what I can tell I am missing the electric motor, pump pulley and bearing, and retaining washing and nut. Looking online I can get a 5HP motor for around 250ish. I can get the pulley and bearing from Quincy for 160ish. I figure the money I spend to get this running will be much better spent. When I got it home I drained the oil and I didn't see discoloration or metal partials.

This picture is after I used all my on hand de-greaser, It could still use some cleanup.

What do yall think?
    Last edited by aggie4life; 04-03-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    2014-2016 Webmaster
    1948 Willys CJ2A
    2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4
    2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SOLD
    2008 Honda Rancher 4x2
    "Keep your Friends Close, but your enemies closer" Sun Tzu, The Art of War