Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm Running Out of Fingers...

Shaggy
    ok well i just found out what was wrong with my 700r4... no 2nd gear... well we are looking for one right now... time is running out... gotta have a new one in it for spring break... anyone know the location of one?

Shaggy
    i just talked to my step-dad and he said they havent found a new tranny for me yet.... he said that it isn't a 700r4... what other transmission was in a 91 suburban 4x4?... could it be that the one i have in it now(which we got in a junkyard last year) wasnt and fit... i dont know anything right now and it is pissing me off... i am gonna call the shop monday and ask my mechanic because he is more informed than my step-dad... i think he might just be being a bastard because i need it to pull my bronco next weekend to las cruces. if it isnt the 700r4 in it then what would stop one from fitting in there? transfercase maby?

AgDieseler
    If it is an automatic and has 4 gears, then it's a 700r4. The only other 4 speed auto was the 200r4, and it wasn't rated for trucks.

Shaggy
    i talked to him today and he said it wasn't... it is a "heavy duty" one...whatever that means... i think he is just retarded... i am gonna call about it tomorrow to confirm if it is or not... he said that they haven't been able to find one yet and they even priced one new and "$2700 isnt an option for a $4000 truck"... it might just have to be rebuilt... but he said that it WOULD infact be ready by friday... we will see

Shaggy
    ok in just talked to my mechanic...he told me it is a 4o80e... anyone heard of this tranny before... ill know tomorrow morning if the new one is in... it should be done today

i think there is a 4l80e. never heard of an 4o80e. Is that transmission electronic. I know the 4l80e is an i thoght the first year for those was 1993.

Shaggy
    i got no clue man

AgDieseler
    Grayson is right on the release year, but it is possible to put one in pre-electronic trucks. However, if you had the work done, you would definitely know if it was a 4L80E. The bill would be huge!

Also, picked up my Art Carr 700r4 Wednesday; will be installed on Monday.

Shaggy
    got it rebuilt for like 870$ and it shifts just spiffy

AgDieseler
    It lives!!! I just got the suburban back from the Oliver Bros. transmission shop, and it drives forward. I told them the shift points I wanted, and they got them exactly right. Now, I'm out to put a quick 200 or so miles on her to break it in. I'm confident that this one will work.

Were you confident that any of those Raptors would work?

AgDieseler
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    Were you confident that any of those Raptors would work?
    I felt pretty sure about the first one, but after the second one left me stranded in Henderson, I had my doubts. Then there was the third, the fourth, and the fifth.

I believe that it is impossible to equate any working TH700R4 with a Raptor. Raptors are flawed the minute they leave the shop.

AgDieseler

Update:

I got 3000 miles on the Art-Carr, and everything is good. My 70mph cruising rpms actually dropped from 2000 to 1900, output temp is 150F in 4th lockup, shifts are good and consistent. The biggest difference is that the truck goes a lot faster now. That old Raptor was just holding me back, but now I'm ready for the autobahn.