Thread: Fuel Cell

Ingenloff

Question Fuel Cell

What does it take to add an additional fuel tank/cell to a truck??? As in, what does it cost, how difficult is it to do, where is the best place to get it done, etc??...I'm asking b/c I looked at a '70 F-100 in San Antone this past weekend that I'm considering buying, however the fuel tank in it is only 12 gallons or so, and, apparently if I invest in the truck, I'm going to have to look into a method of carrying more gas, and I'd like to have an idea beforehand....I know a few in the club have done this already (Scott?)?

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Did the 3/4 or 1 tons of that year use a bigger tank? If so, you could track down one of those....maybe a 22-30 tank. Don't know if Ford did that or not, but it's an idea.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

is it a long or short bed?

i find 12 gallons hard to believe, it might show up as empty at 12, but you probably have 4 gallons left. its a ford thing

if its a long bed, you could put the bigger tank in there, I dont remember what size but i think its 19 gal. then the dual tank from a f150 would probably work, with the selector valve and associated stuff.

Isn't the gas tank in the cab on those trucks. Notice the filler cap. Is this the one?

BigRedFord04
    yes it is...behind the seat...very small. the lady said $12 usually fills it up.

My brother has a 72 ford with the tank behind the seat. Always makes me feel good driving it knowing that at least i won't be crippled in a major wreck. Anyways, i believe it is 15 gallons. Oh and don't leave the cap off, guy in highschool had one and when he turned out of the parking lot about a .5 gallon came out

my dad's chebby has one tank behind the seat and another in front of the rear tire. It also has a manual valve so you just run it until it runs out of gas and then switch it to the other tank, that can be exciting at times JcWhitney doesn't list anything before 73 ford gas tanks. maybe a classic ford supplier, I know they are always at the swap meets.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Aluminum fuel cells start at $200 with a sender, plastic or steel ones start around $130.

Best bet with that truck is to try and figure a way to get a transfer case in the bed under a toolbox. Installation would be all custom so I couldn't guess on the cost of that.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Originally posted by redcagepatrol
    Aluminum fuel cells start at $200 with a sender, plastic or steel ones start around $130.

Best bet with that truck is to try and figure a way to get a transfer case in the bed under a toolbox. Installation would be all custom so I couldn't guess on the cost of that.

maybe you mean transfer tank scott....i dont think a t-case in the bed would do much good.....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

yeah i am with that idea, unless you NEED a fuel cell, then just get a reg in the frame rails tank, or on in the bed. I bet there are companies who make oversize tanks that go in the frame, and if not then you can get the toolbox one. i would try to get 30-35 total gas capacity so that you get decent range on a tank of gas.
    Seth

Rex
    J.C. Whitney has a bunch of stock tanks and and oversize, but the oversize ones are pretty expensive. If it were me, i'd probably just try to find a tank to use in a junkyard, but here's the link to j.c.whitney's tanks: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...=35390&BQ=jcw2

fbronco86
    hey i have an extra tank for a 72 ford truck i will sell it to you for $10 with the yellow cap. I will throw the cap in for free. not sure how big the tank is.

bigFAWKINranger
    you COULD do all that BS, OR you could buy a trailable rig.... JIM HOLY selling a pretty sweet EB for $3000... or less. its got a HALF CAB top so it resembles a pick-up and not an SUV, got a cage, locker, 44 front, 9" rear, boggers, and KUSTOM KWALITY zebra paintjob... i swear i've seen it on the trail in magazines before. nice beater as is, could be a good daily driver with small amount of effort.

Ingenloff
    I didn't say I was actually BUYING that truck I just said I was looking at it, and since an extra fuel source would be something I'd need, I figured I'd ask about and learn something.....AND, I do not want a bronco...I want a TRUCK...not to mention, I'm not goin on a damn safari, nor am I attempting to blend in with a herd of zebras; I am, as you suggest, looking for a trailable rig that will double as a relatively reliable daily driver.