Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My Powerstroke problems

Krawler68

My Powerstroke problems

major to minor...

Two trannys (supposedly well built E4OD's with HUGE coolers)

Alternator

Water Pump

Belt tensioner and whatever the little do nothing pulley is...

VAccuum pump twice

Power steering pump

Cam Positioning Sensor twice ( Mechanic screwed the first one up)

Fuel Pump

Rear ring and pinion (gear setters fault... no complaint from Ford)

Carrier bearing

T-case

A set of bushings on my TTB...

Brake rotors that need replacing EVERY time I go tohave them turned.

Various electrical issues

Steering column crapped out on me. Completely **** out it's internals...

Glow plugs

2 Glow plug relays

While Michael may say i didn't take care of it I prefer to say it was used. I used it for ranch work... pulled a lot of heavy trailers... made a lot of trips... but I have changed the oil every 3500-4000 miles, changed the fuel filter every third oil change, changed my tranny fluid and filter every 5th oil change, and kept reasonable records of all of it. I have also let it idle cool and warm up before using it hard. I have not avoided long idle periods... I don't belive I will ever own a diesel truck i can't let idle for long periods... that's a manufacturer's issue.

Frankly... I have been relatively pleased with my PS, but not enough to buy another. If I thought I had had a lemon I wouldn't feel as bad, but i see the same thingsd happening to other PS owners and shake my head.

Another note... my truck only has 175,000 miles... and folks say Dodges are built poorly? I personally been pretty impressed with how well those I've seen get old have held together... even work trucks.

Doug

froader03
    josh alley's dad's dodge has over 300,000 miles on it and although I can't speak on what if anything major has been done/replaced, I can vouch that that thing hauls ass on the highway.

where's that thread that had fixes on like 15 powerstrokes? I can't even remember who it was... ryan?

Here it is, I added some more in color:

All but the 95 the second 99, and the Excursion had manual trannies.

94 F-350: My dads first one. PO said it got a new motor at 30K. Everything on the motor besides the actual block and heads. The dealer put $17500 (yes) of parts into it including injection pump, turbo, camshaft, every electrical part, 3 sets of injectors ($260 each injector and the most problematic part on the truck) and it still never ran right. The list of parts was 11 pages long.

94 F-350: My first one. Glow plug system $3200 of parts, water pump.

94 F-350 4x4: My second one. Had a 96 motor when I got it. Glow plug controller, flywheel. I sold it with a ZF-5 ready to die. This one was mine and it was out of warranty. Flywheel is $1200 new I bought a used one for $250. It likes to got out alot too.

95 F-350 4x4: My older brother's first one. Automatic locking hub. He only kept this truck 3 weeks. Hated the auto.

97 F-250 4x4: My older brother's second one. It never had the power that it should have and the dealer wouldn't do anything about it. Flywheel went out.

99 F-250 4x4: My older brother's third one. Computer, glow plug system, 1 injector, 1 injector again, currently in the shop for glow plug system again and is for sale.

2000 F-350 4x4: My dad's second one. Best one yet. Input bearing retainer type thing, it is actually just a part the throwout bearing rides on. Leaking fuel somewhere up top.

2000 Excursion: Nothing with the motor.

99 F-250 4x4: My little brother's first. Nothing. Just got it 2 months ago.

2002 F-350 4x4: My older brother's fourth. Nothing. Just got it Tuesday.

I do know of a 94 with 270k on it with no major problems, but I also know of a lot more of them that did give problems.

Mileage on the powerstrokes seems to range from 10-25mpg and there is nothing you can do to change it. Most get about 17.

Do you really want a truck like this when its out of warranty? If you want a diesel that won't give you problems, get a cummins or a non-turbo ford. Or a gm 6.2.

I had to put this one in too.
    98.5 Ram 2500 cummins 4x4: $54 thermostat.

Edit: I forgot to mention all the starters. About $260 each to buy a rebuilt but only $120 to get it rebuilt. And batteries never last.
    Last edited by eight; 10-01-2003 at 07:09 PM.

I haven't personally driven either for an extended period of time, but I do remember the '97 powerstroke my dad had for a couple fo years. For the ~120000 miles he put on it in about 2 years, he never had any major issues with it. In fact, he says it is the best truck he ever owned as far as mileage and having good road manners and such. The only recurring problem was with the throwout bearing - Ford made it plastic so it apparently didn't hold up that well - I think he went through three.

From having grown up around a lot of old ranchers and farmers that beat the piss out of their trucks and haul loads constantly, I'd say it all comes down to personal preference. I know a lot of families that have multiple diesels of the same brand and would simply just not own one of the other.

AgDieseler
    My first 6.2L NA: Went 300,000 miles and ran great when removed.

This isn't a definitive list, but most of the major hard components that were replaced over its long life.
    1 glow controller at 275,000
    1 water pump at 100,000
    1 injection pump at 125,000
    R134a conversion at 280,000
    2 or 3 fuel pumps in there somewhere
    1 rod/piston in #8 - water doesn't compress well .

There were no swelled glowplugs, no cracked block or heads, and 60 psi of idling oil pressure from birth to retirement Since my father was the original owner, we have all service records since June 6, 1985 to the present; that's every oil/filter change, glowplug service, fuel filter swap, and yes, all 6 Raptors.

Eight - Just what parts cost $3,200 for your glow plug system???
    That is a ridiculous amount of money. Did the dealer jew, er, recommend this to you? What were the symptoms? You really need to have your entire family join that forum and quit going to the dealer.

I really wish I knew if there have been any problems with my truck, but what I do know is that when I got it at 140,000 miles the top vanity plastic cover thing had never been removed because I scratched the unscratched rubber covered nuts that held it on upon first removal.

All I know of is the alternator and the clutch/flywheel. I got a solid flywheel kit and hopefully it came with a metal throwout bearing since the factory ones are plastic according to Burris.

If Dodge + Cummins are so bad ass, why is everybody buying Ford?

Krawler68
    who is buying ford?

Fleet companies buy ford because Fomoco is prepared to make AWESOME lease deals for fleet customers... they are by far the cheapest fleet truck available.

Some people are blind and have undying brand loyalty.

The fact of the matter is some people have NO problems from P/S's and other people have nightmares... it's a hit or miss motor. One may be great the next may have premature cavitation in the cylinder walls.

Doug

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by Krawler68
    who is buying ford?

I would say a whole helluva alot of people. Just driving around CS, I see at least 2-3 F250/350s at every stoplight, and those are mostly loaded Lariats. Driving through small towns, all I see is Fords.

Not really biased towards them, but there must be something right if so many are on the roads
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Krawler68
    It's called marketing... what else do you see? I see as many dodges and chevys out here...

My point is not EVERYONE is buying Fords, and you should be more careful about your generalisms.

Frankly... like I said earlier... if i was going to trade trucks every 2-3 years and was leasing or financing a truck I would be hard pressed to avoid the deals Ford has been pushing. They are simply the cheapest long term payment option.

Just make sure your warranty doesn't wear out...you'll need it.

Doug

By the way eight....

Powerstrokes don't have injection pumps.

Krawler68
    Originally posted by Chadnutz
    By the way eight....

no but they do have a nearly 200 dollar fuel pump that sits near the top of the motor and is frequently mistaken for an injection pump... that';s the most common cause of the Ford characteristic "fuel drip".

Doug

Originally posted by Krawler68
    One may be great the next may have premature cavitation in the cylinder walls.
    Theres a big difference between premature cavitation and cylinder wall wear.

What the hell does premature cavitation have to do with an engine? Do you have some sort of sonar attachment on the powerstroke?

I see more ford than chevy trucks around here, and thats unbiased because I've got about the least amount of brand loyalty you can have when it comes to domestic vehicles.

Krawler68
    Cavitation erosion happens when air bubbles stick to the cast iron water jacket and then shake off, taking small metal particles with them. Eventually, cylinder walls can become porous and result in a junk motor.

Doug

Originally posted by Chadnutz
    By the way eight....

OK, it's a ****in high pressure pump. Does half the job and the high dollar injectors do the other half.

Those $ amounts were what was on the many page long lists of parts that ford gives you when you have work done. I pay the $100 waranty deductible.

AGRVR
    Mine still has has happy tags (03 7.3) and already got a new tranny (went back in when the odo had 350 miles).

Has 2500 now and haven't had any other problems yet - touch wood...