Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Axle fixed by a shop in Austin? Finally time for the moo jeep to moo again...maybe

SuzieQ

Axle fixed by a shop in Austin? Finally time for the moo jeep to moo again...maybe

Howdy!

I killed the rear axle on the moo-jeep a long time ago, and now that I am coming back to Texas my parents have finally (sort of) given me a green light to get it put back together.

But here's the deal:

I've got two weeks till I'm back

I'm in DC and the jeep's in Austin

It has to be fixed by a 'professional' (not my idea)

Sooo...anyone know of a shop in Austin that I might want to talk to?

Thanks for any input it's all appreciated.

BigRedFord04
    Austin Drive Train The dealership I worked at sent all their work there and they've got a really good reputation for good work and fair prices...I mean, its in the name. They're @ 201 E. Anderson Lane. 512.454.1488 Good luck.

Sucks to be you

When Nikki's rear axle went out J&P quoted something over $1000 for a new one. Keep in mind, this "new" axle would only be the same or not as good as the stock one. Your parents should reconsider their choice to have a professional shop do it. I know someone kind of screwed you on the last deal when they angled the pinion too steep, but that mistake can be learned from. You should really continue to search for a 9" or something like that. You will end up spending less and getting more. You need a new housing most likely, and any pro shop is going to bend you over....

SuzieQ
    I'm not going with the same axle over again. I'm going with either a 44 or an 8.8...I'm hoping the 8.8. I REALLY don't want to have it done professionally, but it's not my choice. The quotes I've gotten haven't been that bad though...mostly under 1000. The best quote I've gotten is an 8.8 for 800. Is that too bad? Still a lot but the worst I've gotten was redo my 35 and add a superkit to it for about 2000....rediculous...

SuzieQ
    Oh yeah and that 2000 quote was from Austin Drive Train (I talked to David). Jeep masters said 800 for a 44 or 8.8, and Taylors Automotive said 800 for an 8.8 (I talked to Rory). In case anyone was curious...

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    did the price that you were quoted on the 8.8/44 include the 4.10 gears that you will need so that the rear will match the front. and did it include a complete axle, new or old stuff. If you can get a 8.8 with 4.10's installed for 800 i would be on that "like white on rice and a paper plate and a snowstorm"
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

SuzieQ
    You can get an 8.8 that already has 4.10 gears....I'm not worried about the 44 because I don't think I'll find one anyway

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    ok....but if they only want to charge you 800 to install it in the jeep, i would go to great lengths to check exactly whatthe intend on doing...that sounds extreamly cheap to me
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

SuzieQ
    Yeah it sounds cheaper than I thought it would be too, but since I got that same quote from 2 different places....and the guy at Austin Drive Train also said that if I found a 44, he would only charge me 175 to install it.

Swap

The price all depents on if the axle is included or not. It shouldn't be too hard to put the axle in if you supply it.

Jeepmasters is the place that Mike Cohn (writer of rockrawler.com) took his Jeep to when he was livin in Tx, so theyve already dealt with one cow patterned wrangler.

Why is your Jeep in Austin, I thought you lived in the same town as this guy

800 bucks if they are supplying the axle with the right gears and putting it in is a good deal. I am curious if it is new used or rebuilt, and if it has brakes etc. Any other details suzie?? Also that leaves you lots of options for building up as well.
    Seth

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    You can get a new 8.8 ('98~'99 or so) with disc brakes for like $150 off exploders in the junk yards. That means that they are charging $650 to weld on spring perches, hook up the parking brake and regular brakes, and connect the driveshaft. If they keep the axle, they can sell the shafts for $75 a pop giving them about $700 profit after paying $100 in labor to do it.

someting to think about...
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

SuzieQ
    Like I said, not my choice.