Thread: Transmission casing blew up

Shaggy

Transmission casing blew up

today I was headed home in my 1991 Suburban and all of a sudden the rearend of the thing jumps in the air and hella smoke everywhere. whenever the smoke cleared i noticed first a lack of the rear driveshaft. what happened was that the housing of the transmission literally blew apart pushing back the transfer case which inturn broke the front yoke of the driveshaft sending it into the ground and lifting up the rearend...which then ripped off and flew into a ditch... my damn luck....own 3 SUV's and be stuck on foot...has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before...it is insane

ill be your pickup man
    what tranny do those suburbans have? I have heard that they suck hard. A few friends have had suburbans and have gone thorugh numerous trannys. We replaced ours on our 87 after 80K mom driven miles.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Shaggy
    I'm not sure exactly...all i know is that it was a crate transmission that we put in about two and a half years ago...it has never felt the same as the original

BigRedFord04
    I saw what I'd imagine was something similar happen to a brand new Yukon a few years back while I was in Houston. I just caught a glimpse of but I could see that the rear driveshaft was behind the rear axle, there was a lot of fluid directly under the middle of it and something else hanging down in the middle. Pretty ****ed up considering it still had the dealer tag taped to the back window.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    The tranny in the suburban is a 700R4. hardly a ****ty transmission. where is mark when you need him...he told you the other night at kollins' house that if the kickdown cable is not adjusted right it could fawk it up....im not saying that was the problem but mark will prolly know
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Shaggy
    yeah he said that it could burn it up... it couldn't cause it to blow up into pieces like that. My mechanic is coming tomarrow morning with a trailor and i bet he chits his pants when he sees it... the only good thing about this is that it is actually gonna be cheaper to fix my bronco than this so the progress of that will definitly speed up

BigRedFord04
    Man you've got some sh!tty luck, I mean, almost getting an *** whippin' @ Chilifest, now this? Stay away from me

damn chevy - and import -- drive the bronco

Originally posted by Seth
    damn chevy - and import -- drive the bronco
    the same bronco that he has broke/bent the frame on how many times? Damn the bronco if you ask me...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Shaggy

its all fixed now

suburban has got a new tranny, a new transfer case, and a new driveline... i get it back tomarrow

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    how bout you dont post the same basic thread in two different forums???
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."