Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Another rig goes under the knife...

Another rig goes under the knife...

I finally got my hands on my in-law's K5.

I hope your tetanus shots are up to date, 12 years in Saudi Arabia weren't kind to the sheetmetal.

The beginning:

The end of the first day:

We're going for the "gasser" look. Seriously, we're waiting on the shackle flip brackets. If the USPS cooperates, we'll finish the suspension this weekend. Also in the works is some serious rust removal/fender clearancing/sheetmetal work, as well as a full cage in preparation for TCC.

A few more pics here
    Last edited by Cajun; 03-18-2003 at 07:12 PM.

Looking good, tubing should be in by the end of the week

AgDieseler
    You're really going to like those Tuff Country springs. I've had them for nearly a year now, and they ride and flex better than my old 4" superlifts. It's one of the good things that came out of being hit by a miata.

Originally posted by Jackasic
    Looking good, tubing should be in by the end of the week
    [Mr. Burns] Eeeexcellent...[/Mr. Burns]

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the springs, David. I know that they're brand new, but they seemed a bit stiff. They'll get a workout at Katemcy.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    please sign up for katemcy... Hal and I are the only one's shown on there as of tonight
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

AgDieseler
    When I got mine new, they actually measured to about 7". Since then, they've settled to about 6.5", and leveled out the truck as it sat a little high in the rear. I actually had to turn up the RS9012s to 4 because 3 was too bouncy.

Originally posted by redcagepatrol
    please sign up for katemcy... Hal and I are the only one's shown on there as of tonight
    They're not competing, just going for the trailride. That thing is NOT ready for any sort of competition. Doug and I are competing however, not sure why he's not on the list.

Krawler68
    I sent my money to hensel almost 2 weeks ago... I was the first person on the list... I'll worry about the internet BS later. Do i need to e-mail Necy?

Doug

froader03
    I'm getting the info for doug, myself and a guy from saje to her today. we'll be on there sometime tomorrow.

just to clarify so no one gets confused, everyone attending (competition or no) needs to sign up and will be put on the website.

Ingenloff

Re: Another rig goes under the knife...

Originally posted by Cajun
    I hope your tetanus shots are up to date, 12 years in Saudi Arabia weren't kind to the sheetmetal.
    12years in Saudi Arabia isn't kind to anything American save your bank account

Suspension is done. We installed the Echobit shackle flip brackets, and new SS brakelines. Adjusted the draglink (steering is frighteningly close to perfectly aligned). Removed the dash and instruments as part of cage prep, as well as all plastic interior trim. Installed new distributor, plugs, wires, and coil. Raked and mowed 3 yards for our church, installed a new floor and wall, and played soccer. It was a hell of a weekend!

The springs seem a bit stiff, but I think that's just from them being brand new. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I think that the shocks may be limiting droop, but I haven't had time for any poseur testing. I think we may have a slight driveline vibe at @50mph but I'm not sure--about speed 'cause there's no instrumentation at all, or vibes 'cause it didn't exactly ride smooth to begin with. Oh well.

More pics here.

Sorry, I had to throw this in. Not something you see everyday:

A Saudi auto club sticker. And it's a Caprice! Schweeeeeeet.

-Mark
    Last edited by mark; 03-24-2003 at 08:31 PM.
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Updated pics page. Cage is mocked up, fenders trimmed, rust somewhat repaired. Come awn TCC!
    Last edited by Cajun; 04-15-2003 at 08:14 AM.

Now how in the hell are you going to fit in there Andy? It looks like the cage is about 1 foot to far forward to accomidate Andy+seat. Maybe you could drive through the cage from the back seat. Or maye Dia can drive and you can be the spotter.

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...