Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Another rig goes under the knife...

Doug--We're not sure what were going to do with the leftovers--Hell, we're not even sure how much will be left over! We've discussed everything from selling it for scrap to building a crewcab hybrid. Do you know of anyone that would be interested in the cab?

Brandon--Everything that makes this truck go is going under David's K5. We've got to have a running rig to represent!

I've had thoughts in my head of building a tow rig in a few years with an old chevy crewcab body...I have no money at the moment but hopefully that will change soon.

Also, it's a shame that isn't TBI...you should find TBI setup for it, then it would kick ass!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

You mean like the one sitting in the backseat?

It was a factory TBI motor. The PO said he had trouble with it, so swapped in a carb. We've got all the original TBI hardware--wiring harness, computer, everything--I'm just not sure if the stock setup will do that engine justice.

What say you?

Depends what you want to do with the K5, if your going to running angles I'd do the TBI. They can be upgraded very well for fuel delivery, but they are a little touchy when it comes to cams. That motor stock already puts out way more than i would ever need. What are your plans for the K5??

As you can see i'm writing a paper and i get very excited when i get mail since i respond within a minute.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

The motor does have "a little cam" according to the PO. We're planning on building a crawler out of the K5, so injection would be ideal.

when you say everything does that include the throttle body? those are getting hard to find.

Through the research I've done on the tbi, i've read that they don't take well to cam swaps. Probably something to do with less vacuum throwing off the MAP sensor.

Yes, that includes the throttle body. We have everything that came on that engine from the factory.

So if refitting the factory TBI isn't going to work, what is our best option? Aftermarket TBI? That would work but a system that will deliver the fuel that engine needs will run about $1400. Propane? Do you run into the same problem with fuel delivery?

Damn $1400???? What do you need to buy?? What has the guy done to the engine that requires that much more fuel?? You know how much horse power it puts out?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

It has a 750 cfm carb on it. Like I said earlier, bored .030 over, ported & polished, cam. The Holley Commander EFI system that delivers 700 cfm is $1349.95 from Summit.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, so if there's a better, cheaper way of getting this done please let me know.

I'm not an expert on this, but what I've heard is that you just need to have a chip custom burned to match your mods. Then you can get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fine tune it a little.

Krawler68
    Propane is going to have some CFM issues at that rate, but it would be pretty close... I think the Impco 425 is up to 450 Hp... not sure on CFM ratings.

Doug

Originally posted by Krawler68
    Propane is going to have some CFM issues at that rate, but it would be pretty close... I think the Impco 425 is up to 450 Hp... not sure on CFM ratings.

Doug
    Where would I go about finding information on such a product as well as the other necessities of a propane conversion?

Call turbo city or arizona speed and marine, they bore out throttle bodies, sell bigger TBI injectors, and burn chips for more fuel and different cams. Search for them on google, shouldn't be hard to find them. I would think you could get like a bored throttle body for 225, larger injectors for like 250, and a chip for 150. Also, ask on coloradok5 some of those guys mess with that crap and thirdgenorg.com.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Krawler68

Ahh, updates...

As of now, the 60 is in, 35 spline stubs/1480 u joints are in, and it's all-kind-of torn apart. Again.

Waiting for UPS to bring...Warn 35 spline slugs, hydro steer system, propane conversion, doubler, ORD triple stick, rear ElDorado disk conversion.

New pics