Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steering arms D44/10B

Steering arms D44/10B

Any objections to tacing the arms to the knuckle to prevent any
    wobbling that might occur? Anything I should know while designing the shape of the arms? They are drilled and the knuckle is tapped.

Nutz

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    dont ever tack the steering arms on....the three bolts that hold them on in combination with the cone washers will not allow the arms to move...unless of course you dont do it right...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Krawler68
    bewsides the stuff steven stated it is nearly impossible to tac the cast knuckle to the machined raw steel arm... just bolt it on and go...

um

It will cost me $90 and two trips to Caldwell to have the holes drilled out in the cone shape. Apparently I need a 30 degree included chamfer tool that is VERY hard to find. I've called every machine shop and tool supply place in town, researched all the tool books at work, and searched the internet. This guy in Caldwall quoted $90 for 6 holes. Is it worth it?

the bit costs about 70 bucks, so if you pay 90 your getting the shaft. I'll ask the guy who is makin mine where he got the bit, but I don't think he had any trouble finding it

Krawler68
    why don't you just order the right shiat from Bob Roggy or WMS? it's only about 150 for a damn steering arm...and it'll be proven, not nutz engineered...

doug thats 150 an arm for a roggy one. he's proud of his stuff. I'd go homemade if you can swing it, just make sure you do it right and don't weld the damn thing on, haha.

AgDieseler
    It's on the expensive side, but Off Road Design has an arm too.

Steering arm: This is the arm that attaches to the steering knuckle on the axle. It uses factory type studs, cone adapters and locknuts to bolt to the knuckle. The D44 install kit is available as an option as shown below.
    Arm Part #: U9010
    Arm Price: $150.00
    Install kit part #: U9011
    Install kit price: $35.00

They have good quality products as well as great service. Doug and I have a number of their products installed, and it's been okay so far.

aggielr
    when i do mine this summer, i'm probably goin to order mine from either ORD or Roggy, but i have seen some on the POR board that look good, and the guys have said they work well, might see if any of them would make them for ya for a small fee

I don't know what you guys have against the avalanche arms, but they were 98 apiece, that is the cheapest I found, and they are pretty badass as far as I am concerned, use tie rod ends, and have the correction in the end so they don't bind up. I thought they were a pretty good deal, and are pretty overbuilt, but I guess time will tell. I too would have liked the pride in building my own, but it just wasn't worth the hassle IMO, and I really didn't have access to the equipment to build them right.
    Last edited by BMFScout; 04-24-2002 at 09:46 PM.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Krawler68
    From everything I've heard the Avalanche arms are pretty weak for steering arms. They use 1" cold rolled bar stock for the arm but knock alot of the material off for the arm. the stock Chevy arms supposedly measure 1 1/4" thick. Not really good if you ask me... add a spacer and the shear on the little 1/2" bolts is more than i'd want to bet my life on. I've included some pictures to show how it will fail...

Krawler68
    and it was twisted too

Krawler68
    one last one

AgDieseler
    I think that is a taper that has been milled rather than twisted.

Krawler68
    I'm not sure what you're saying, but it was a flat arm originally... that is a definite bent arm... it's off a thread on POR...