Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: look

that's why a bunch of the guys on POR are always wanting SRW hubs to replace DRW hubs on axles they get at junkyards and such - if I go back to the junkyard here I'll take a picture of a 2000 F350 dually front I found, you can see an obvious difference

Krawler68
    does that axle use unit bearing knuckles? How much did they want for it?

Doug

BigRedFord04
    dont they just do that front offset so that they on have to carry one spare tire and rim? the front rims on duallys are usually pretty offset in.

Austin - yes they do, just like on a big rig

Doug - not exactly sure what unit bearing knuckles are, but it had actual locking hubs and looked like any other D60 I've ever seen, only it still had the factory black paint on it. I didn't ask about the price because I figured if I asked and didn't haggle and buy it right then they would try to figure out what it was and realize it's worth. Let me know if you're really interested and I'll go back and get pics and see what I can do.

Krawler68
    Unit bearings are where the wheelbearings/hubs/ rotors are all one sealed piece that bolts to the outer knuckle... it makes for easy axle shanges... I can convert the hubs for free here if they are unit bearings.

Doug

Careful...the superdutys use a funky metric 8 lug pattern. Something to take into consideration.

I've got a pair of SRW D60 hubs I could stand to sell anyway. Vintage 1979, one is in good shape and the other could use a bit of filing on the splines.

Krawler68
    I would still use unit bearings I'll just have my 17" beadlocks made for the metric pattern...

Doug

ew, unit bearing is junk. think yj dana 30.

its a semifloating front axle with non servicable bearings. actually, i think its just bearing, as in 1, not 2.

Krawler68
    Unit bearing may be junk for a daily driven rig, but for trail rig usage it is a dream... sealed bearing, 35 spline hub capable, 4 bolts and you are ready to pull the shaft.

Doug

reread my post, nonservicable bearings.

I could see the quick change axleshafts as a bonus if time is severly limited. it gets nasty having to mess with those bearing locknuts on a regular dana axle.

and eight and 8.8's have ****ty carriers too not to mention the lack of an inner race for the wheel bearing on all c clip axles. that falls under my junk category
    Last edited by robertf03; 03-24-2003 at 04:28 PM.

Krawler68
    I don't care that they nonservicable... I can pick up 6 replacement units for free at West texas offroad... as little as I'll be driving it I think the tradeoff is not only worthwhile, but smart.

I would have to remove the following on a Dana front w/o the unit bearing:

6 hub hex screws for the hubs
    2 bearing locknuts
    6 spindle nuts
    spindle

for the unit bearing front axle I will merely undo 4 bolts and the axle will be ready to pull.

Doug
    Last edited by Krawler68; 03-24-2003 at 04:32 PM.

Doesn't the 2000 F-350 sport a Dana 50? Don't all superdutys minus the F-450 and F-550 sport Dana 50s?

I think F350 duallies were the only ones that kept the D60 front through the body change

Saweet. That's what I wanted eventually anyway: F-350 Extended Cab Dually.

Yes, F-350, 450, and 550 duallys have the 60 front while F-250s and normal F-350s have the dana 50. Anybody know what's in a dana 50?