Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The last gratuitous flex pics...

Krawler68

The last gratuitous flex pics...

got the shocks mounted Saturday morning...

Install my proportioning valve, 10 lb. residual valve, tighten my oilpan bolts, install my new oil pressure sending unit and water temp sender... See some of you kids at the Slabs Friday night.
    Doug

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I like how you're standing on that tire to keep it relatively close to the ground. Not too bad though man.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

How high is that front tire off the ground?

Krawler68
    It wasn't really that high off the ground. It looks like I'm standing on the tire here, but i was just messing around.

That's as high off the ground as it came... Considering we had the front tire 42" off the ground I don't think it's too bad. When i finally got my rear shocks mounted they ended up limiting my rear droop a little. I figure I may actually need to use some limiting straps, because right now i think I'm getting a little much flex.

Doug

Gay.

Krawler68
    Yes it is...

I wish I had a scout... they are so much stronger and lighter that I don't see why everybody doesn't own one...

Doug

Krawler68
    I wouldn't exactly say spring over was "Nearly Stock"... Jeeps that are sprung over flex VERY well. Especially YJ sprung or stock sprung ones. Stevens had some pretty amazing flex when it was SOA'ed.

I would also venture to say that it would be harder to fit 38's on your jeep and maintain that sort of tire movement. Especially with the mere 3.5" suspension lift I have. Not saying it's anything incredible... we'll see what poseur numbers I get when I get a chance to run it up a ramp.

I am still thinking I will want to limit the front movement a little, and control the droop on the rear axle.

Doug

EDIT: I also failed to notice that you have QUITE a bit of wheelbase on me... which means you should be able to have a tire up higher for your wheelbase to achieve the same flex as a shorter wheelbase. I'm only a 91" wheelbase.
    Last edited by Krawler68; 03-24-2003 at 02:25 PM.

You can estimate your RTI number with a little geometry.

(Height of tire off ground / sin (ramp))*(1000 / wheel base)

Your axles/wheels/tires are quite a bit wider than mine. That makes a big difference. The only difference that wheel base makes is whatever I get from frame flex. It's hard to explain. Wheel travel is the same no matter the length of the wheel base. The same suspension will flex the same on a CJ8 or CJ5 if they both weigh the same.

Now lets say at full flex both of our axles are at 30 degrees relative to the ground. My tire would be 32.5" off the ground while yours would be 39" off the ground if your axles are 59" plus 1.5" spacers plus 15x10 4" bs wheels plus 14.5" wide tires.
    Last edited by eight; 03-24-2003 at 02:53 PM.

Originally posted by Krawler68
    Yes it is...

I wish I had a scout... they are so much stronger and lighter that I don't see why everybody doesn't own one...

Doug
    While probably not lighter than anything save an M1A1, it'll definitely be stronger when I get through with it...that is, if I ever get to work on it again!

Krawler68
    I understand, but it's difficult to get any measurments on the hypothetical triangle you would use for the SIN measurment in these pictures, and I'm tired of flexing it on a forklift... I'm putting it on the trailer and I'm going wheeling.

I think "Hypothetically" That should leave my with somewhere around a 950 on a 30* ramp... take from that what you will since most ramps are 20-23* not that any of it matters... balance in much more important.

Doug

Krawler68
    Originally posted by Cajun

While probably not lighter than anything save an M1A1, it'll definitely be stronger when I get through with it...that is, if I ever get to work on it again!
    That's because you're importing a Ford driveline into it.

It better be strong... any projected weights on that thing? I think I'll swing by the coop tonight and weigh in the EB to see how much it weighs... I am praying for 4200+- pounds.

Doug

Krawler68
    I think i used 42" while you used 38"... that would explain the different numbers.

your wheelbase is 108" right?

Doug

103.5"

And yes, I did use 38", 42" still puts it at 923.

"around 950" is closer to 923 than 835 Mr. Wizard

Krawler68
    Hence "somewhere around 950"... I wasn't sure I had the right number for SIN...

we'll see how it does... I think anything over 1000 on a 23* will be more than sufficient.

Doug