Thread: Headers?

ill be your pickup man

Headers?

I swapped a friend of mine my stock exhaust manifolds for his set of Dynomax ceramic coated headers and will sometime soon put them on. But I have a few questions.

They are pretty nasty looking, a little surface rust and mostly dried on mud. What should I do too get them cleaned up a bit? I wanted to just spray them with some high-temp flat black, but need to get them clean first. Sandblast? Or jsut let htem socak in parts cleaner? Other suggestions?

Do I need special gaskets, like different from just the regular exhaust gaskets?

SHould I buy new bolts? The guy at Ho'reillys said I should find some that are "locking" and won't back out.

Thanks
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Sand blast them and paint them with something like this. Most high temp flat black will burn off.

Do get new bolts. Mine are holding fine with regular lock washers.

Try to find some better gaskets. My jeep's leak just a little bit with NAPA gaskets.

aggielr
    copper gaskets work well

ill be your pickup man
    Thanks eight.

Where aroudn B/CS can I get stuff sandblasted?

Also, is there any place around here that does powdercoating? (not for the headers? just in general?

thanks
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Originally posted by aggielr
    copper gaskets work well
    You're one out of 5 million who can get copper gaskets to seal then. I wouldn't stray from fel-pro on header gaskets.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

aggielr
    sealed very well on nikki's blazer, and didn't have to fawk w/ them, that was after the new heads were put on

BigRedFord04
    copper gaskets work well on mine too....2 in 5 million.... ....theres a guy in the club (David) that does powdercoating and brags all the time about how good it is...he's one of Jimmy Mancuso's friends