Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Rig

Shaggy

New Rig

since i am out of three vehicles now i have decided to build something new... i am trying to deside what to build... i prefer something of the suv nature, full size and straight axles... i have enjoyed my bronco and am keeping it but i wanna try something new... i am thinking of going for a scout... what do yall think
    -shaggy

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    scouts suck arse....Jimmy, Freddy, Brandon, and a few others can vouch for that.... .....get a jeep....or a scout...or a samuri...or a schwin bike.....those are pretty hard to break....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Go for the scout - jeeps are too common and they need axles and case and tranny (engine even) to be decent -- i will add more later
    Seth

you wanna put money where your mouth is seth????? i have stock axles, tranny, engine, ect, ect....and i bet i can go just as far if not further then any scout that is just as stock
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

mine is just as stock as yours is, lets go see who will go farther, post padder (I get to keep your spare though...)
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Krawler68
    Originally posted by StevenAg03
    you wanna put money where your mouth is seth????? i have stock axles, tranny, engine, ect, ect....and i bet i can go just as far if not further then any scout that is just as stock
    I remember you making it about 25 yards into my backyard before we were knocking you spindles off to replace axleshafts and u-joints...

Originally posted by Krawler68

I remember you making it about 25 yards into my backyard before we were knocking you spindles off to replace axleshafts and u-joints...

the reason the axle shaft broke was my fault...i didnt know tthat i had already broken the u-joint....besides...that is no normal back yard....and if you wanna get real technical...that is in front of the house so it is a front yard...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

Krawler68
    ***...*****...either way you broke up your shiat good in my "Front" yard...

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Shaggy, if your looking into a Scout....make sure it's a 74 or newer. A 73 and older would be ok, but the 74+ have a front Dana 44 instead of a Dana 30 like the older ones. Now 73's could have had a drum brake 30, disk brake 30, or a disk brake 44, so that's a possibility too. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

There are all kinds of variables with scouts
    Ignition - the gold box sux - it can be replaced though
    Tranny - auto, or standard has three options - get the granny.
    Go for a V8 - most of them are already.
    Dana 20s came in most of them for X case - the 80s had dana 300. 300 is nice but rare. 20 is good and can have gears put in.
    Of course go for the power steering and brakes - it is on almost all the newer ones.
    The 79 started havign the emissions stuff so i would steer clear.
    There are also two wheelbases - traveler is the long wheelbase
    4 barrels are rare - but not needed.
    thats all i can think of for now.
    Seth

stinger7401
    Shaggy, take this into consideration when purchasing your next vehichle. When your out in the middle of BFE and your water pump goes out in your COOL scout, where are you gonna get it from? Oh yeh you'll just run to the local International tractor dealer thats down the road,.....sure. Point in example is that parts for tractors are found at tractor dealerships and parts for vehicles are found at every parts store.

PS. I have replied once today, does that make me a padder?

agshooter
    fu ckit dude go for a wagoneer. They're kinda cushy and I drove one for a while. without a couple of problems my dad refused to address(engine dying stupposedly of a bad fuel filter according to the guy that bought it) it would have been a badass rig. never left us stranded when hunting and turned on a dime (steering looser than a 2 dollar hooker).

BigRedFord04
    I would also have to agree w/ those who said V8...sure you can make up for it w/ gears and a Marlin crawler, but if you have the power already you wouldnt have to worry about all that sh!t. Also, in your planning, think of what upgrades you're going to want to do to the vehicle you drive, which ones are necessary and how much will they cost. I dont have any specific suggestions b.c. i dont have an official "trail rig", all I can say is go for something w/ a wheelbase of less than 139" and low overhang. The combination of that sh!t makes for some interesting trail noises.

AGRVR

Go for a Scout

I would get a Scout for at least two more reasons over and above what has already been mentioned:

1. They are typically cheaper than Jeeps to purchase (lets get real, the only Jeep is a CJ and a CJ w/ a V8 ain't gunna be cheap and then you have to swap axles and all that other **** to make them worth a ****)

2. 100" Wheelbase. A Jeep with a 100" wheelbase is almost never cheap (CJ speaking)

Also I have rarely been to the parts store with Fred/Jimmy/Brandon and them not have the part they need for their Scouts (and take the three combined and that's more trips than RJ and I have made for Sparky - Think about it...thats A LOT.

everyone is saying that you need to get a V8...V8's are great if you are wanting alot of horsepower, but thats not what you want....the I6 is plenty for the job. i bet it puts out just about as much torque as the stock 5.0's that are in both mine and austins truck. also, austin said that if you have a V8 that "you wont have to worry about all that other ****"...he means gears and crawler boxes....so just out of curiosity....your saying that if you have a caddy 500 in a vehicle, it would crawl just fine with gears like 3.07's or 2.72's???? maybe it would do ok in the mud but then again, i dont see why you would want a short wheel base vehicle if you are only gonna do mud.

Like Kollins said....scouts are cheaper then jeeps. I got a hell of a deal on mine and it was 2500. new motor, tranny, floor pans, and a new rear quarter panel.

It is all in you prefer...i do not think Scouts look very good. Jimmy's is an exception. I think his looks pretty bad ***, but he has done alot to it to make it look like it does. I prefer jeeps.

Either one is fairly cheap to lift. Just do a spring over and be done with it. Mine didnt cost me very much at all...but then again i "made" some parts for mine that you would probably want to buy. I spent about $40 to do my spring over. I only spent that much cause i didnt feel like removing 20 years of dirt and grime from the u-bolts so i could get the nuts off. I spent 1000 for gears, lockers, one piece axles, and 35's(all the axle stuff was assymbled). so i have about maybe $4000 in mine and i think it is very capable. The front D30 is pretty strong axle for the jeep and the AMC 20 rear with 1 piece axles is basicall the same as a D44. Before anyone says that a 30 is a weak axle and needs to be replaced, Mark, Jason Marak, Troy McDaniel, me, and i am sure there are plenty others who have wheeld pretty hard, have done so with a 30 in the front. Its all in the finness that you wheel with.

I dont know how much jimmy has in his Scout.

In closing...dont get what everyone wants you to get...get what you want...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500