Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: skid pate material

aggielr

skid pate material

what should i use for a t-case skid plate, i'm redoin the piece of crap someone riged up under my pile and i'm goin to make my own, what size sheet metal should i get to make it out of?

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    heat and bend some 3/8" flat plate. Jason did that and it came out pretty good + only 3/8" think.

it might have been 1/2", can't remember
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Krawler68
    USe some of that plastic **** that weighs nothin'... It's like 10x lighter than 3/8" plate steel...

Doug

Originally posted by Krawler68
    USe some of that plastic **** that weighs nothin'... It's like 10x lighter than 3/8" plate steel...

Doug
    are you for real - what is it? I want some
    Scott, FTAC '99

The stuff the make cutting boards out of.

1/2"? Was he building a tank? Expecting land mines?

Krawler68
    http://www.indplastic.com/index.cfm?...875&product=38

here is one option...Delrin. Kind of more brittle than the following two options... you really should tuck EVERYTHING in the frame rails before you go this route...it would be REALLY dumb to try and mount your t-case to .5" plastic.

I think this stuff may be anywhere from 1/2 the weight to 5x lighter... my first statement was a little optimistic.

Here are two other options.

UHMW- not much info, but seemingly a tad bit softer than HDPE, which is more like cutting board material.

HDPE- http://www.plasticsusa.com/hdpe.html

These substances can be ironed to get rid of gouging made by rocks.... the only condition is that as heat is applied to these products they become VERY weak... at 180* you should be able to do a 90* bend with your gloved hands... hence it is imperative you keep ehaust away from these skids, or else heavily insulate your exhaust.

Doug

plastic sounds like a bad idea - too much to worry about with the heat and getting stuck on rocks. The weight is down low anyways, not a big deal to use steel
    Scott, FTAC '99

Krawler68
    It's actually a luricated plastic at the molecular level, and if insulated properly works pretty badass... seen several people use it, and they just drag right over stuff... they like it alot... any weight is bad weight...

Doug

He's building a real jeep, they don't use ****ty little Z71 plastic skid plates. I'd build a beefy tranny mount then the skid plate out of 3/16" and use some angle iron or whatever you have laying around for bracing.

Krawler68
    Ryan continue on in the stoneage... you are a dumbass if you think there isn't room for advanced plastics in the rock crawling world. The purpose of a skidplate is not to be heavy...its purpose is to deflect rocks away from expensive and delicate driveline parts and slide you over boulders... high impact platics in .5" thick applications are Exceptional for this... not to mention well used and trail proven. If you ever try to climb an extremely vertical climb you'll find out the advantages of light weight and try to lose weight everywhere you can. Every pound counts. EVERY POUND!!!

Doug

aggielr
    as much fun as it would be to say i had a milk jub skid plate, i'm goin to have to go w/ steel because of the price issue and this ain't no comp rig, so i guess i'll deal w/ extra weight, but i think the 3/8 th's flat plate might be the best choice as of now

I have a sheet metal brake biotch.

Krawler68
    the plastic would only be 200 bucks... and you don't need the sheetmetal brake...just a hairdryer...

Doug

Metal is a few cents per pound. Since you've got all this money coming out of your ass, why haven't you bought that 60 you keep wanting? And if you're gonna talk **** about my weight, you could say something about maybe bobbing it, or removing the AC system, or the passenger seat, or a number of other things that actually make a difference. But $200 to lose 30 pounds, I could do that much by just not eating, and taking my boots off.

Krawler68
    Hmmm... because I've spent more than a D60 on beefing my D44...

I have spent enough to build a pair of 60's on my 44... it's the nature of the beast I already had it ready to go, and so I kept dumping money in it.

As for having money coming out of my ass... 200 bucks isn't that much money. Find me a D60 for less than 800 and I'll buy it.

I wasn't talking **** about YOUR weight, but weight in general... and it's not 30 pounds but more like 100 pounds if you run a full skid plate...

Doug