Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast

Thread: Swamp Donkey Progess

its where the caliper floats

ill be your pickup man
    Going with teh GM outers is going to cost me too much. I played with it today and started drilling my Ford spindles to work. The edge of one hole will overlap the edge of another hole, but I will still be able to get use a stud and nut. I realize this is a little ghetto, but I hope it works, as it will save money.

For the passenger side, what about mounting the drag link and tie rod on the same bolt? I thnk I have seen that done before with no issues. Just stack misalignment washers to seperate the heims. There is room to drill another hole, but I would rather not.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

better be one badarse bolt with that much leverage, or make a custom spacer for the middle

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    i was thinking about doing the same thing on my xj, but possibly figre out a way to weld a brace onto the knuckle to try and make it double shear, basiclly hiem knuckle hiem brace
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    i was thinking about doing the same thing on my xj, but possibly figre out a way to weld a brace onto the knuckle to try and make it double shear, basiclly hiem knuckle hiem brace
    something like this? http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=668

ya similiar but actually welding to the knucles since i wont be using highsteer arms, but in john cas do the same but one uner the arm and one above
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

ill be your pickup man
    I got the Solid knuckles installed finally. Had to get a stud/nut kit from SOlid because the typical spindle stud/nut kit for GM will not work. Just need to order the expensive stuff now. Shafts, u-joints, spindles, hubs, flanges, rotors, calipers, bearings.

I have the high steer arms marked and ready to be drilled. I do not have a drill press, really just hopeing a machine shop will knock it out. Anywhere besides Vilas? I guess Cooks could do it.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

i can probably do it on the drill press at work, but i would recommend buying a good 3/4in bit from mack to do it with
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

ill be your pickup man
    knuckles installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

it sill doesn't make any sense to me why SOLID would want you to convert to GM outters?

and what was the issue with redrilling your stock spindles to work?

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    I got the Solid knuckles installed finally. Had to get a stud/nut kit from SOlid because the typical spindle stud/nut kit for GM will not work. Just need to order the expensive stuff now. Shafts, u-joints, spindles, hubs, flanges, rotors, calipers, bearings.

I have the high steer arms marked and ready to be drilled. I do not have a drill press, really just hopeing a machine shop will knock it out. Anywhere besides Vilas? I guess Cooks could do it.
    custom fab, accurate machine

Brazos Valley Driveline would probably be worth a call as well.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

PM krebs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    it sill doesn't make any sense to me why SOLID would want you to convert to GM outters?

and what was the issue with redrilling your stock spindles to work?
    Hard to explain, but the Solid knuckle is 'narrower' than a stock Ford knuckle. The spindle mounting surface is about 1/2"-3/4" closer to the center of the truck. No big deal until you look at a Ford 60 spindle vs. a GM 60 spindle.

gm

ford

The backside of the Ford spindle that slides into knuckle extends too far, contacting the axle shaft, which means you can not fully bolt down the spindle b/c it is just pushing on the shaft.
    Last edited by JB; 05-24-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

would TTB spindles work?