Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Swamp Donkey Progess

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    (I dont want to know why, dont hijack your own thread, i really dont care that much)
    PRECISELY
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Shaggy
    i wont part with my tubing damnit... i swear one day i will get around to working on the bronco

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    yeah...so...those inserts xtreme carries, take a guess who makes 'em? ME. i made 10 last week at Vilas. We charge them an assload but they are more than happy to pay it. Stop by some time and talk to Gary about how much they'd charge regular customers. I wouldnt count on it being cheaper than a catalog tho.
    I wondererd why I saw your truck at Villas last week.

I am really happy w/ my steering. As shown, Heims came from JEGS, cheapest chromo heims w/ teflon inserts i could find in about a week of looking and going to stores. Tate might even be willing to part with the tubing he has laying on our garage floor.
    I think the heims from Jegs will be the cheapest, but I will run by Xtreme and see what they want.

Bronco looks good man, hope to see it on the trail soon....maybe even make a trip w/ TAMOR and not just w/ Scott and Warren, who for some unknown reason have refused to join TAMOR for 3 years now. (I dont want to know why, dont hijack your own thread, i really dont care that much)

What do you think about making your drag link mount taller? The higher, the less safe??
    Last edited by JB; 12-16-2003 at 02:24 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

why not use tie rod ends?

ill be your pickup man
    I am reading around on Pirate, and am realizing that maybe TREs might be the way to go for what I want.

Austin, why did you put the drag link heim in single shear?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

AgDieseler
    Originally posted by robertf03
    why not use tie rod ends?
    I second that. It's a much simpler connection, more reliable, and more durable than heims. That's not too say that heims suck, and you would probably be happy with them, but even the nicest teflon lined heims won't last as long as a Moog TRE. I think you, not to mention your wallet, would be happier in the long run with TREs. Your steering system is going to be operating at some very safe angles, and a TRE can handle them just fine.

Ask Ryan St. John how many QA1 heims are still alive on his Cherokee. I think he actually found a teflon insert lying on the groud one time.

That's just my .02

ill be your pickup man
    Moog tie rods are $66 a piece. Cheaper brands were not much cheaper.

Xtreme wants $37 for the heims and $13 for the inserts.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04
    yes, the inserts are made of 4340.

i put the mount where it was #1: because of leverage. the pulling and pushing forces get exponentially greater as you move away from the centerlink. #2: because where it is it lines up perfectly with my track bar, which keeps stuff from binding in flex.

i like my heims because comparitavely they are 2x as thick on the rounded part than any other heims i've seen.

Originally posted by JBrown89
    Moog tie rods are $66 a piece. Cheaper brands were not much cheaper.
    HOLY CRAP!!! Make a friend at a car parts store. I just got Chevy "one ton" tie rod ends for ~$25 apiece, and Wrangler ends for $18 apiece. That price is for Moog lifetime warranty tie rod ends from Car Quest. Their cheaper brand was about half that. Yes, WFO Offroad has a cash account there so we get shop prices, but surely you know someone at O'Reilly or NAPA that can help you a little.

If you end up using Chevy TREs (their thread is 7/8-18), you can get some DOM from Chadnutz and use weld-in inserts from Poly Performance.

3rd from the bottom, P/N PP-TA14

ill be your pickup man
    38s look better, too bad their not mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by bburris
    HOLY CRAP!!! Make a friend at a car parts store. I just got Chevy "one ton" tie rod ends for ~$25 apiece, and Wrangler ends for $18 apiece. That price is for Moog lifetime warranty tie rod ends from Car Quest. Their cheaper brand was about half that. Yes, WFO Offroad has a cash account there so we get shop prices, but surely you know someone at O'Reilly or NAPA that can help you a little.

If you end up using Chevy TREs (their thread is 7/8-18), you can get some DOM from Chadnutz and use weld-in inserts from Poly Performance.

3rd from the bottom, P/N PP-TA14
    What about welding a nut to the end of the DOM and use that to thread in the heim/TRE?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

38s look better, too bad their not mine
    I know someone with 4 of those for sale on 8 lug wheels...

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by Cajun
    I know someone with 4 of those for sale on 8 lug wheels...
    would that person be you? details? hummer rims right?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

froader03
    What about welding a nut to the end of the DOM and use that to thread in the heim/TRE?
    ***... that's awesome... truly an idea in response to having a money pit on a college student's budget.

ill be your pickup man
    Originally posted by froader03
    ***... that's awesome... truly an idea in response to having a money pit on a college student's budget.

Well I think it knew it was nearing completion and decided to piss me off and start squirting gas through a pinhole leak, with of course a full tank I guess I am ordering a new tank tomorrow.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4