Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So much for that idea

You get what you pay for. If you want something that's ready to go, spend the $400 on #2 and be done with it. If you're willing to put in some time, effort, and more $, go for option #3. I like this one the best because you'll end up with more motor in the long run.

Krawler68
    I'm thinking I'll get an Impco 425 and go with #3... I think Lee might have a crappy 4bbl that will tide me over for a while. I just need it as a throttle plate for my 300A right now until I can find a 425.

Doug

BigRedFord04
    i wouldnt suggest you getting #1...115-135 isnt that good...new 302's if built right can push ~225. like andy said, you get what you pay for.

Krawler68
    I was under the impression that actual compression rating was less important than having even distribution of compression ratings... I think #3 is a given at this point.

Doug

Doug there are 3 302 short blocks for sale on cowtownjeeps

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    you are right doug....i have never seen a stock motor at 200+ compression. mine was only at 110 when i first got it.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

I hate to ask you this, but did you use a good torque wrench when tightening the heads and use the proper torque sequence????
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Krawler68
    hell no...

That would most likely be the cause of blowing head gaskets. A new motor is not going to fix blowing head gaskets unless you use a torque wrench or the heads are already on the motor!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Krawler68
    the heads are already on it... actually i think I COULD fix my motor if I wanted, for a price... I just am tired of dumping money into it... it's old and VERY tired... and this is a perfect opportunity to install a new one since I need a new clutch soon anyway.

Last time we put head gaskets on we used a torque wrench and the right torque pattern... it still didn't last very long. It's just an old motor, and i am reluctant to spend any more on it.

It's the only thing that i haven't rebuilt or replaced in the EB...

Doug

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    didn't you already re-build the top half because of something stupid???

bad timing? backfire? plug wires on backwards? no oil - all in driveway?

just can't seem to remember how you broke it at the Dexter house
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Krawler68
    I actually didn't break it the first time we replaced the head gaskets... we just did it because we did the whole top half, mainly because it wasn't running at all (I am sure it wasn't the head gasket, but we did it this way anyway)... we just didn't rebuild the heads. We did everything by the book, but the driver's side head gasket didn't hold... I'm sick of having this motor act up...I'm gonna get one somebody has had good luck with, and keep this one around as spare parts.

Doug