Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Divorced Toyota T-Case

Divorced Toyota T-Case

http://www.ottindustries.com/divorced_toyota_tcase.html

$325 for adapter
    $100 for t-case

Pay fabricator for a few hours to modify my current t-case. I have a slip yoke right now and the chain is a $373 dealer only item. I want to cut the lower half of the t-case off. Weld angled aluminum brackets on both sides and tap in new drain and fill plug holes. Then my current t-case would just be a gear box with no chain. I could keep my 4.10s in all three third members thus saving money on gears and install kits. The 4.10 pinion is also stronger than a 5.29 one. I would eliminate my slip yoke problem. The flanges would match my toyota drive shaft, and my front drive shaft angle would be a better.

What do you guys think?

intersting. I like the idea, but I think youd be better off not messing with the divorced adapter kit and building your own adapter.

I looked into doing this with a np231 gear set but I dont have the wheelbase to fit that in there.

take the output shaft where the chain gear rides, send it to moser and have them cut it down and respline it to toyota output shaft gear and then just make the adapter you need. sounds simple enough in theory

Sometimes the jooish route isn't good. If I go through all the work I end up having custom crap that can only be custom made again if it breaks. I'd waste all that time having it cut and then have to make my own adapter when I can just order it and install it.... This is pretty damn cheap for dual cases.

Originally posted by robertf03
    intersting. I like the idea, but I think youd be better off not messing with the divorced adapter kit and building your own adapter.

I looked into doing this with a np231 gear set but I dont have the wheelbase to fit that in there.

take the output shaft where the chain gear rides, send it to moser and have them cut it down and respline it to toyota output shaft gear and then just make the adapter you need. sounds simple enough in theory
    Thats kinda what I said when i told him about the divorced case. The divorce case adapter does not really seem like it would be much to fab up yourself.

Oh yeah nutz, did ya check out pirate for that guy who was gonna put one of these in his sammi, and then changed his mind and went with a married case and chevy v6? Like I said, he might still be selling it.

your missing my point, if its a divorced case, how are you going to close up the front half of the mazda tcase so that it has a yoke output? I havent seen how one looks, but I'm guessing its like most chain driven tcases and has a gear selector up front, then a 2wheel/4wheel selector with a chain in the back. You'll have to something custom somewhere, so I dont see the point in spending the extra money when you could knock it all out at once.

you got a pic of an exploded diagram of a mazda tcase so I can see if its not the way I think it is?

The Mazda case will stay where it is and there will be a short shaft going from the back of the Mazda case to the front of the Toy case. I just want to hack off the lower part of the Mazda case so it does not get in the way of my front drive shaft. I would not need the chain anymore for the front case unless I wanted to have a PTO winch, but now one pimps those these days anyway.

Are we on the same page?

yeah. i see what you want to do now, I thought you were going to just use the gear reduction part of the mazda case

I'd be surprised if you have enough wheelbase to fit that much additional length to your drivetrain.

Have you thought about getting a 2wd mazda tranny, the divorced kit, and stacking 2 toyota t-cases that way?

I'd use the whole case, but I would take the chain out and cut the case in half. That way I lose the chain, double the reduction, and lessen my front drive shaft angle.

My rear drive shaft is more than twice as long as my front, so why would I be worried about that? I need to measure a Toy T-case from front to back to figure out just how long it would be. I also need to measure the Mazda.

The added cost for this whole deal will save me some money on gears. Even though it will be more expensive than just puttin in 5.29s, dual cases would be sweet.

Shaggy
    if ya need any help let me know... i promise i wont drink too much wine this time
    p.s. you get muh inserts in yet?

My drive shaft will be short, but it won't be any shorter than the front one is. I'm going to do it. This way I don't need to buy 3 sets of 5.29s (spare 3rd member).

But I'm not doing any of this until after I have 5" springs...

What can I find that will be 5" with the correct spring rate?

throw some rough country 1 ton dually rear springs up front and that thing will go ANNNNNN-EEEEEEEE-WHERE!!

I'd stick with Alcans or some other custom spring if you can swing the payment. Theres a few spring shops in downtown Dallas, I wouldn't trust any in Bryan, but maybe next time you head back to San Antone or wherever you're from check w/ the locals and see if they know what they're doing.

Just found out inchworm also sells the divorced case setup. Check out the vendors forum on PBB.

You know, the 2wd tranny and dual toy cases may be the way to go. You could probally sell you current tranny and tcase, and have a shorter drivetrain with the single or dual divorced cases and 2wd tranny. Think about it. Two full cases and a jack shaft will make for one long drivetrain. If nothing else, would you're rear shifter even be in the cab of the truck? Plus I gotta wonder just how strong the cut down mazda t-case would be. Modifing it like we discussed would probally heavily reduce the structural integrity of the case.

Out of curiosity just what is the first gear in you're tranny?

If my truck is anything like the Australian Mazdas it has a 4.25:1 1st gear. I'm not sure exactly why the case would be any weaker. The chain would not be turning so there shouldn't be any stress on the case itself. I know it is going to be long, but I can't afford to buy a new tranny and dual toy cases. This is the $500 option. A new tranny and duel cases would be well over $1000. I am going to have to lengthen the wheel base some I guess. That won't be too hard since I am going the flat bed route. I'll just put a cross member in the very back of the frame and move the shackle hangers back 6". That should make up for the short drive shaft length. Maybe I should talk to Scott about some kind of rear coil setup. That way I could have the tires stick out as far as the rear of the truck like his. I could find some coils in a junk yard for much less than the Alcans. I already have DOM for the trac bars or whatever you call them.

Suggestions?

Not to mention....now you're talking custom adapters as no one sells a single adapter for a Mazda.

if you have the same tranny that mazdas in oz have, I'm gonna be mad. Aussies have all kinds of bad ass stuff stock on toyotas that we can't get here, including low range transmissions.
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 05-02-2003 at 08:45 PM.