Thread: Dual mass flywheel help

fbronco86

Dual mass flywheel help

Ok my truck took a big poo on me at TCC. Anyway it was the clutch. I am wandering about the flywheel. I checked the free play in the flywheel and it was 5/8. From what i have read and understand the range is 5/8 to 3/4 so it seems to be in the ok range. I have also read that you are supposed to replace the flywheel when you change the clutch. So any one who has had problems with this before let me know. I just kinda want to know how long this flywheel is going to last and if its gonna cause me more problems later down the road. cause my tow truck does not need to be breaking down all the time it sucks.

As you all know my truck is a 92 non turbo so it has a different flywheel than the 94.5 up trucks.

Go to www.thedieselstop.com and register there. Then introduce yourself and your truck in the IDI forum. Make a signature. Ask them for technical info. They are much friendlier towards Ford diesel owners over there for some reason.

You need to replace that damn flywheel now so you don't have to mess with it later on.

I called J+P.

$620 for the kit.
    $225 for installation.

That is cheap for labor considering I was quoted $450 at Aggieland Automotive. It ended up costing me $890. DO NOT put another dual mass flywheel on your truck. Get the Luk kit. They have never had a call back and no one on the diesel stop forum has every complained or gone back to a dual after a Luk.

fbronco86
    the reason the flywheel go out is because of the torque of the engine i dont have a turbo therefore not as much torgue plus you have a different flywheel than me. I am on the diesel stop and all you guys with the 94 and up seem to have alot more problems than mine.

Ryan i know you had a truck like mine. Did you ever do anything about it??

I had one of those trucks and my family has had many, 2 are even still kicking. We never had one go out and I have never heard of one going out. Don't worry about it. If the parts stores won't sell you a kit without a flywheel, check with a Ford dealer. That's the only place that would sell me a kit without it when I put a clutch in my dad's truck a few months ago, but its a 2000.

Mine did.

Must need to clarify. 88 to 94 year model naturally aspirated ford diesel. Yours is a powerstroke and therefore it is crap.

stinger7401
    haha, thats funny shiznit ryan, sorry nutz

ok now on topic, at our shop we always replace the flywheel when we do a clutch on these particular models, it would just suck to have to go back in there and replace it all after just a few days of pulling it. They are pricy but it will be worth it. Also as far as the swap goes, the engineers took the time to design a special flywheel for a reason, i'd replace it with the stock one, they dampen the amount of whiplash at take off or gear shift.

The Luk clutch is also designed to absorb vibrations. Granted it may not absorb as much... The only difference I can tell from one clutch to the other is that the Luk is much easier to engage. My foot almost went through the floor the first time I pushed it. The truck feels the same. I don't get any vibrations. Most people don't even get 100,000 out of a DMFW. How many $1000 flywheels can you go through for the same price as a tranny rebuild even if the Luk warrants that. There are people on that forum that have over 100,000 on their Luk with no problems, and they are resurfaceable.

fbronco86
    well i am gonna run the flywheel i have. I checked the specs and its still well in spec plus it only has 60,000 miles on it. I think it should last longer than that. So i am just gonna let it ride.

Are you changing it yourself or having it done?

He already changed the clutch, he's just worried about how long it will last...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Oh, nice work. That was quick.

fbronco86
    oh yeah i got home sat night pulled the tranny out to see what went wrong. I really wanted to see what happened so i went right to work on it. Then on sunday new clutch and the truck was back running. it drives great. just kinda want to know more info about this flywheel stuff