Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tbi

Tbi

progress

bad place for an electric fuel pump? it says it has to be below the gas tank but i have this huge as 22 gallon and dont wanna put it in the back seat so this is as low as i can get it? its a holley so it pushes fuel not suck.... any problems ?

wiring
    Last edited by J Cooper; 03-15-2003 at 05:34 PM.

Can you find a place on the inside of the frame rail for it? I have no idea what works for fuel pumps and whatnot, but it seems like it would get a lot of crap thrown on it sitting right next to your tire - and if you ever have a blowout there might be a pretty explosion to witness from a distance...

yeah, but it says in the destructions to mount below the tank, and my frame rail is like near the top if it, i dont know if the pump would work like that, but i do agree on all that stuff though... unless anyone has a 15 gallon tank laying around?

rail
    Attached Images Attached Images  

maybe right there on the left, on the inner from, see how much higher?

so its cool to put it on the rail next to it then?

PM mark about the pump. I would mount it on the inside of the frail rail. Also, mount your computor up higher, above a potential water line, say high in the dash of glove box.

The best place for the pump is in the tank. I've done two in tank pump setups on stock (ish) CJ tanks. Yours is low pressure, so it would be easy, but the pump you have probably won't work in tank.

Here's how you do it:

Buy a pump for a 92-95 Chevy P/U with filter
    Buy some high pressure rubber EFI fuel line and EFI hose clamps
    Drop the fuel tank
    Pull the sender
    Measure from the top of the tank to the bottom.
    Measure the length of the new pump with filter attached
    Shorten the fuel pickup on the stock sender by cutting it off so that if you attached the pump to the shortened pickup with a 3” piece of rubber fuel line, the filter would just sit off of the floor of the tank. You don't have to be too precise, because you can make up any difference by using a longer or shorter rubber fuel line.
    Double flare the end of the shortened fuel pickup.
    Assemble the pump, rubber fuel line and sender with fuel line clamps, adjusting the over all length to the tank's depth.
    Wire the pump by grounding it to the bottom of the cover portion of the sender (there are tabs that will accept female spade connectors).
    Drill a hole through the sender cover for the power wire for the pump. This should be large enough to accommodate a grommet with the wire.
    Run the wires to the pump. The negative wire runs from the pump to the inside of the sender cover. The positive wire will run through the pump cover and grommet and should terminate in one side of either a Weather Pak connector or a two-wire trailer connector. On the outside of the tank cover you should have or may need to attach a ground, which should attach to the other side of the connector. This connector simply makes it easier to drop the tank in the future. Use a dab of RTV on the grommet and wire to seal things up completely. From here the positive wiring goes into your Holley harness and up to the computer, preferably through a relay. The negative attaches to the frame.
    I’ve done this twice and replaced all the rubber lines from the pump to the throttle body with high pressure EFI line and EFI fuel clamps (they have a screw and nut rather than a worm gear).
    I believe that RJ has pictures of the job we did on his fuel pump. PM him and get him to post them.
    -Mark
    Last edited by mark; 03-16-2003 at 06:05 PM.
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

thanks but its a Holley not a Howell, its digital controled and can only use the one pump sense in plugs right into the computer with no other power or grounds. im just gonna put in on the frame

Your too quick on the reply. I just noticed my mistake and corrected it but it all remains the same.

-Mark

BTW, how many wires are running to the pump within the connector?

i think 4

Is there a fuel return line from the throttle body?