Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tow rig

Tow rig

Well since the toy is dead, its time for me to go find a tow rig. I've been looking through the papers, and while I want a 3/4 ton diesel truck, they are for the most part out of my price range. So I'm even considering a half ton truck. One thing I've noticed while searching, is that the suvs are often cheaper than thier truck counterparts. So my question is, what kinda tow rig would a suburban make? Seems to me that it would work fairly well, since I only plan to tow my truck on a low boy trailer. I know I don't have a bed to haul stuff in, but more room for passengers and stuff seems nice after driving around a toy for the last two years.

Shaggy
    i would say dont go with a gas motor as a towrig but i guess it wont be a problem at all pulling a tow... damn me and my 6500 lb bronco

Diesel.

What is your price range?

fbronco86
    get a 88 to 94 diesel non turbo. I have 92 ford f250 and it pulls my bronco pretty good. They dont have all the problems of the powerstrokes. powerstrokes suck

Powerstrokes suck until they drag your IDI and its trailer back to camp.

Krawler68
    no, powerstrokes suck...

Doug

Sell yours then puss.

Krawler68
    Mine is paid off and not worth $.02 in resale value. For now i'll merely regret owning it and continue beating on it.

When I go to a new truck it won't be anything with a 7.3 liter navistar... that's for sure.

Doug

When is the last time it gave you a problem and what was the problem?

I wouldn't buy a 6 liter for a few years either...

Krawler68
    Last thing to go? Tranny shift module... third one... still haven't replaced it. It acts up when it's moist outside...i think the potting may be bad.

I also am having issues achieving full boost...typical leaky housing...

I am also having electrical issues where the truck likes to "Shut down" on me at speed and then the wait to start light comes on, the voltmeter dives and stays low for several seconds then clicks back to normal.

My fuel pump went out several thousand miles ago. That was a bitch... not to mention messy as ****.

Is this a good start? I could go on.

Doug

If your truck shuts down will it start right back up?

Somehow it is resetting and the glow plugs are cycling for a few minutes and thus bringing your temperature guage down.

crawlingno5
    tell him to go to that powerstroke board.. you havent mentioned it in a looong time

Krawler68
    Yes it will start right back up...I know what's happening I don't feel like finding the problem. I'm lazy... and NO I'm not concerned enough to go to The Famed Diesel Stop... or whtever it is.

Doug

Hey crawlingonmykneeslikealittlebitch.... I'll have a picture posted for you when I get home.

Registered
    If you can't afford a diesel then you should look for a chevy or gmc with the 6.0l gas motor. I could not afford a diesel and this is what I got. It pulls great.