Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tow rig

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    lets see some pics troy.....how you doing up in dallas? havent heard from you in a while
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Re: Shuts off and WTS light comes on. Then starts back up.
    #1192215 - 04/30/03 05:16 PM Edit Reply Quote

Mine did that when the ignition switch was worn out. Replaced it and no more trouble.

Krawler68
    LMAO...no ****...i thought it kicked ass that i could pull the keys and still drive it... I bet that is my problem... how ****ing annoying is that?

Thanks Chadwell...

Doug

See why I pimp that site? I'll be pimping you next big sexy!

Krawler68
    pimping me? hmmm... yeah that's great...

Doug

hey doug are you being serious....you think thats the problem...im not saying it isnt....the point of this post is to say that you can actually learn something from others....even if you think poorley of them
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

Krawler68
    yes I can... thank you Chadwell.

Doug

Back to the question at hand...

Suburbans do make good tow vehicles just due to their sheer size. Obviously you would be limited to a bumper pull trailer and less than 10,000 lbs, but your toy and a respectable trailer would probably be just over half that. I have been known to flat tow my Jeep with a 4x4 ½ ton and it is the best truck I have ever used for that purpose because of the extra weight over the rear axle.

However, Suburbans tend to be a little lacking in the power department. All half ton Suburbans prior to latest body style will have a 350. Anything prior to ’96 will have a non-vortec engine which in the 350 gives up about 50 hp. In a ¾ ton of this vintage you can get a 6.5 turbo diesel, which suck, or a 454, which sucks gas. ¾ tons are hard to find though.

I would look for something ’96 or newer with either of the gas engines. The 454 is preferred for towing if you can find one and can stand the lack of gas mileage.
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

I say 88-94 no turbo ford diesel. Reliable, fuel efficient, enough power, and cheap. That'll probably be my next truck if I ever get around to selling the dodge. I'd prefer a Dodge with cummins but I think they cost too much. You can get a good ford for about $4000 while a dodge is about $7000.

After readin Marks's post, it seems like you could prob buy a vortec 350 and do a few mods to it (K&N, exhaust, chip? ignition?) and have decent power, even if not quite the 454, with better mileage. also - think about gearing if you went that route, i dont know what came in them, but im sure theres an option.

Seth
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I would not waste the money trying to modify the Vortec 350. You could add a chip, but that would only make a difference at wide open throttle and may require higher octane fuel depending on what it does to the timing. The K&N may add a few hp and an exhaust may add a few. I would add the K&N just because I don't like paper filters. The Vortec engine has a good ignition and would not benefit from and aftermarket ignition. A supercharger is the only way to get HP out of the engine without tearing into it.

The engine has adequate HP to tow with, you just won't win many drag races.

Gearing goes from 3.42's to 4.10's depending on GVW and tire size. The most common are: 3.42 for 1/2 ton 2wds and 3.73 4x4 1/2 ton. Some 3/4 tons had 4.10's.

Half ton's had the GM 10 bolt, some with a limited slip, most without. 3/4 tons got a semi-floating 14 bolt.

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

fbronco86
    my 92 ford diesel gets 16mpg on the highway at 70mph with 4.10 rear end. I have the 5 speed ZF. Towing i get around 10 pulling my bronco. I am sure my truck would pull the crap outta a toy.

my uncle has a 91 1/2 ton suburban that he uses to tow is boat. it is a VIP Baystealth and weighs about 5000 lbs. he has added airbags for helper springs and it tows great. it has a TBI 350. it is very nice to ride in and has a lot of storage space in it. also if you get one of this body style( last of the boxy body style like david olvier's) in 4wd, it has a solid axle
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

Shaggy
    my 'burban is a 91 and it tows great for smaller load... my bronco is a little heavy for it, but i also use a heavy ass trailor

for all those in need of a Ford diesel, click here.