Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 75.00%
  • no

1 25.00%

Thread: drivetrain lift

drivetrain lift

I'm debating on whether or not to do a drivetrain lift on my truck. The plan is to raise the tcases ~4 inches, while leaving the engine mounts stock height, and then build a new crossmember. I would have to cut out the transmission hump on my floorboard, as well as notch or remove one crossmember (which many have done with no related problems). I don't know if I would need to lengthen my front driveshaft, but I'm pretty sure i would need a rear cv (which I technically really need anyway). This would give my truck a flat bottom, which combined with the inboarded springs, would leave very little to catch on, and greatly improve breakover angle. I could also add a second tcase mount to my dual case setup, greatly improving its resistance to motor mount killing engine roll.

Other than time/effort, are there any cons to doing this?

Rear drive shaft angle increases....but i'm assuming thats why he is getting a cv shaft
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I figured that he had already planned on changing shafts since he was talking about an additional t-case.

EDIT: Does he already have 2 or does he want 2?

already has I believe, look at the rollover pics, should be easy to see...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

yep, dual cases are already in the truck. Everyone swore I would need to rotate the rear and install a CV when i went with dual cases, but lack of time forced me to skip it for a while, and I soon found that other than some noise, I didn't really have a problem with no CV.

Cons mostly revolve around sharper driveshaft angles, and whether my front d-shaft will be still be long enough. The crossmember shouldn't be to hard to build, and I'm going to have to install new spring perches when I inboard the springs, so there isn't a reason not to rotate the rear axle.

I guess the biggest thing is going to be finding some yota CV driveshafts